Header on an '86 X

HazN

True Classic
Hi, folks!

This is my first posting here. Kind of funny since I've had my X since '92. I have removed the AC from the car over the last two months and am contemplating a header. So the questions are these:

1. What further mods do I need to do? The cat has been replaced by a "test pipe" and the muffler is an ANSA 4 tip. Does the alternator need to be relocated to the former compressor location? Need brackets?

2. I do not wish to fabricate the header. What commercially available ones are recommended? Vicks? etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. As soon as I get the time, I will post photos.

Thanks again,

Haz

Hi, folks!

This is my first posting here.

Welcome to the forum :)

1. What further mods do I need to do? The cat has been replaced by a "test pipe" and the muffler is an ANSA 4 tip. Does the alternator need to be relocated to the former compressor location? Need brackets?

Not much. If you removed the compressor, the Vicks/IAP header will fit. For me it was always easier to convert to the non-AC alternator and bracketry

Depending on which header you get, the outlet pipe may be larger than the existing exhaust tubing. So you may need to upgrade the tubing to match the header.

2. I do not wish to fabricate the header. What commercially available ones are recommended? Vicks? etc.

IAP or Vicks are the only two I know of available off the shelf.

Welcome to Xweb!!

Just wanted to offer a "Welcome". Steve covered the details better than I ever could. :)

Alternator

Steve,
What do you mean by "easier" to fit the non AC alternator? Will this be a fitment problem?

Haz

My regards also... and welcome...

I'm not sure what Steve is saying... but the alternator for an A/C car is located HIGH on the engine while the non-A/C cars have it lower.

The HIGH location MAY interfere with the header... I dunno... But I do know this...

Unless yur into a Concours restoration... ya can't beat adapting a GM alternator in the lower mounting position. With a non-A/C mount cut down and an aftermarket bracket... less than 100 bucks without a core exchange to do the conversion and what a difference.

Details are around here somewhere or in Version 1 in Best Of possibly. More info if needed or wanted.

Again... welcome to the insanity!

Header

Welcome to the forum.

All of the previous info posted by the gurus above is correct.

If you have the original AC-style water pump and alternator, a "standard" IAP / Vicks / PBS long-tube header will not work,
because of the routing of the downpipes. See attached pix:

Non-AC with Header:
IMG_2180.JPG

Here you can see the #1 and #4 downpipes are bent to the outside of the stack. Lots of clearance for a non-AC car, but with the alternator
and water pump arrangement of the AC car,the #1 pipe will practically lay on the backside of the alternator.

If you want a header to fit the AC car, you need one where the #1/#4 pipes are routed to the back of the stack like this:

fiat-header-1300.jpg

Headers in general are getting really hard to source. I have one non-AC unit, practically brand new, driven less than 50 miles, available here:

http://marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=82804&c=438696&i=244106463

The trick to these longer units is that they are made to bolt up to a factory Carb muffler. You can fabricate a custom exhaust if you want, or source a 75-80 carb factory muffler and it'll bolt right up, cat-delete.

-M

A Few More Views

Of what a PBS header looks like on the 1.5L and what was done on the exhaust end.

The engine on stand with EFI intake manifold. The header is Jet Hot coated gray. ARP stainless steel studs and matching nuts were used.The water pump intake pipe is visible along with the heater hose fitting.

A view of the rear muffler and Cat. It all hangs on a rectangular extrusion. The hose clamps were used for this mock up. The O2 sensor is visible along with the header flange.

The stock tri-spring assembly is gone and replaced with this plate and "L" bracket set up. Two plates and the body sheet metal make up this sandwich. Rubber bushings are used as shock mounts in place of the stainless steel springs.

And... welcome to the X family :dance2:

Wow!

Really beautiful work there Bernice...
Love those photos. Shanks for sharing! :excited:

Back