Headlamp Motor Issues

davidb

Daily Driver
I’ve cleaned every contact I can think of. Oriented & soldered in new diodes. With the battery
disconnected I turn the motor knob to the headlamp up position. Headlamp switch off.
Connect the battery the headlamps go down. Turn the ignition key on, cycle the headlamp
switch: nothing. The motor doesn’t raise the light buckets up & the lights don’t illuminate.
I’ve cleaned the light switch contacts, All terminals reconnected properly. I need help. Thx.

I’ve cleaned every contact I can think of. Oriented & soldered in new diodes. With the battery
disconnected I turn the motor knob to the headlamp up position. Headlamp switch off.
Connect the battery the headlamps go down. Turn the ignition key on, cycle the headlamp
switch: nothing. The motor doesn’t raise the light buckets up & the lights don’t illuminate.
I’ve cleaned the light switch contacts, All terminals reconnected properly. I need help. Thx.
What year (please put the year and any major mods in your signature, it helps us help you).

I would be wondering about the raise lower relay or the light switch’s connection to it.

Do the parking lights go on?

Headlights:

Left side
Low beam fuse 5 (8A)
Ground to chassis
Gray/black

High beam fuse 3 (8A)
Green/black

Right side
Low beam fuse 6 (8A)
Gray wire
Ground

High Beam fuse 4 (8A)
Green

Turn Signals fuse 2 (8A)

Front left
3 prong connector C1
LB/B light blue/black
To lights them selves

Light blue
Black grounds thru washer pump

Front right

C8 3 pin connector

Black ground to chassis
LB light blue(?) feeds from hazard

Thanks to all for quick replies. To kmead it’s a ‘76 Scorpion. I’ll be using all
your info to hunt things down. Where’s that raise/lower relay located? Thx all!

As some small recompense.

Attachments

• Scorpion Relays.pdf
    89 KB · Views: 73
  • Scorpion Wiring Diagram.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 72
I bought a new headlamp motor relay from EuroSport. Same problem: the
headlamp housings go down (after I manually wind them up) but won’t raise.
And the passenger side headlamp won’t illuminate. Drivers side does. They’re
Hella halogens. I swapped the lights to test, both work on drivers side. What
are those two thick (14 ga.?) green wires under the car, passenger side for?
Mine have butt connectors on both wires = they’re terminated, not connected
to anything. The wiring schematic labels them as item #34 & #35 for left &
right headlamps (suitable for original “sealed beam” unit) it says. Do those
have to be connected somewhere? This is going from bad to worse . . .

Bit of a long shot, but is the new relay the same as your original? There looks to be a contradiction in the Scorpion diagram (posted above) and the service sheet pin-out for the same relay:
1698434114171.png

i.e. if the diagram follows convention (!) the non-energised coil state for the change over contact is showing as 87b in the wiring diagram (the inner pin) while the relay data pin-out has it as 87 (the outer pin). I know the X1/9 motor relays are Change Over like the Scorpion one, but the X1/9 contacts on the inner pin when the coil is off - this is possibly what you have bought? Do you have an original Sipea 0454 relay? Perhaps take a pic of the contacts and post them and take a meter to it to check how it's wired when not powered.

I’m confident the new relay is a match for an 0454. MW Bayless told me
these relays are hard find. Said have I’d to “out source” one = from
Europe. I really don’t think the original Sipea was bad now. I never
tested it. Stupid me. The wiring in this car was really bastardized
before I bought it 20+ years ago. God only know where the problem is.

Back