headlight bulbs

The direct fit R2 style halogen bulbs are probably your best bet if you retain the existing light assemblies. The design of the reflector and lens was made for the R2 bulb, so it will have the correct shape and location for the light source. Other bulbs like a H4 will not be exactly the same and may not provide a great light pattern. On the other hand, if you want to go to H4 bulbs (which offer LOTS of choices) then I suggest replacing the whole assembly (lens, reflector, etc) made for H4's. They are inexpensive these days. But you may want to check your local laws about swapping lights - some areas are strict and result in fines.

Regardless of which light you choose, adding repays will help. If you buy a premade relay kit make sure it has decent (heavy) gauge wires - particularly for the power source into the relay and from the relay to the light. I've noticed several of those kits come with too small of wires (in my opinion), which defeats the whole purpose of it.

Here's some photos of the differences between the Euro versus USA headlights. The top two frames are USA spec for sealed beam headlights. They have been bead blasted and going to be painted black later today. The blue car came from Sweden and has that odd washer/wiper set up on the inner bright light. I'm replacing that with the stock Carello headlight. These headlights are mounted to the frame by those three plastic cups on the back side of the Carello lights. I think the positioning of the mounting cups is specific to the 128 coupe and why 131 headlights don't fit perfectly. If you look at one of the photos it shows the break down of the reflective silvering inside the headlight.
IMG_2568.JPG
IMG_2569.JPG
IMG_2569.JPG
IMG_2571.JPG
IMG_2570.JPG
IMG_2568.JPG
IMG_2569.JPG
IMG_2571.JPG
IMG_2570.JPG

Here's some photos of the differences between the Euro versus USA headlights.
Thanks for sharing the pics. The Euro Carello's are cool, I love the built in wiper thing on the bulb. Do you have the rest of that wiper assembly? Funky attachment clips as well. There's been lots of oddball stuff done over the years, and that's what intrigues me.

The breakdown of the silver reflective surface inside is very common on older lights. For models that have a removable lens you can get the reflector re-silvered, but it is expensive. It's also possible to separate the lens on the ones that have it sealed to the reflector, but that is a real pain to do. They aren't that valuable so unless it is for a rare all original restoration to concours level then it is not worth restoring them.

I converted both the headlights and taillights in my X to LED without using a relay. The power draw is so low that the needle on the voltmeter doesn't even twitch. My only caution with LED bulbs is you need to understand how many Lumens and the temperature of the bulb. I bought one set of LED headlights that were way too blue which made them light up street signs but didn't help with viewing the road. I found a set of GE bulbs that are 10,000 lumens and a natural white, now my X headlights are as good if not better than most modern cars...

i understand, they are complete sealed projectors..i was thinking of just a bulb to be fitted in the original headlight assembly

i was thinking of just a bulb to be fitted in the original headlight assembly
There are plenty of choices for replacement bulbs (speaking only of a bulb to put into existing housings) in LED or pretty much any other format. But one thing to consider (in addition to finding them in your R2 size) is if they will function as intended with the reflector, lens, housings that you have. The light is a complete system and each component is designed to function together as such. When you change the bulb to anything with a different shape, light distribution, intensity, position, etc, it will adversely affect the performance of the light in one way or another. That does not mean it won't work, just that it may (or may not) be less of a result than you expect. For example one possible outcome is it might be brighter but have a poor distribution of light, so you won't see things as well. Really the only way to tell if it will work to your satisfaction is to try it.

All this talk about 7" headlights is off point here, the car in question here has quad 5 3/4" lights and he's asking about European low beams, so what fits the X isn't what he's after.

Back