Headlight switch - 1979 needed

Larry

True Classic
I'm looking for a working (I've got a wonderful non-working example) headlight switch for a 1979 X1/9.

Are any out there?

Thanks,

Larry
'79 X1/9

Lights?

Yes it does say "Lights" on it.

I don't think I even knew what it said on the switch until this morning when I actually looked at it.

Thanks for the info...

Larry
'79 X1/9

Does yours say "Lights" on it?
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...l.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=193009&i=250927841
I guess it was 80-82 that was the idio gram and unique and hard to find and pricey. I ended up making one from a '79 style. Seems like you're "lucky" and have the less rare (cheaper) version.
http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...l.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=193009&i=250927845

If you don't have relays on the high and low beam, do it or you'll fry this one too! Seriously.

I'm looking for a working (I've got a wonderful non-working example) headlight switch for a 1979 X1/9.

Are any out there?

Thanks,

Larry
'79 X1/9

Pretty much impossible to find, but I used to install the same year Strada switches with some wires doubled up. Worked just fine.
You can also use the 1980 switch with similar wire swapping around stuff.
I have all those options in stock.
Chris Obert

Relays were installed by the previous owner (or the previous owner's mechanic).

I don't know if this one is fried or just broken - the switch has 3 positions total - parking lights, headlights and off. It got stuck between off and parking lights one day, with the headlights still in the up-position.

What happens when the switch dies - does it go out like what I've described or does smoke waft up from the dash?

Thanks,

Larry

If you don't have relays on the high and low beam, do it or you'll fry this one too! Seriously.

I looked at your website Chris, but wasn't able to find anything and haven't had a chance to call.

What is the wire swapping? From the pictures posted by Jeff, it looks like the 1980-1982 has one additional connector that the 1979 switch doesn't have.

Larry

Pretty much impossible to find, but I used to install the same year Strada switches with some wires doubled up. Worked just fine.
You can also use the 1980 switch with similar wire swapping around stuff.
I have all those options in stock.
Chris Obert

What is the wire swapping? From the pictures posted by Jeff, it looks like the 1980-1982 has one additional connector that the 1979 switch doesn't have.

Larry

I couldn't find a 80-82 for a price I could tolerate so I bought a different one and rebuilt it to match the 80-82 pin out moved the guts around on the "new" one so it'd work. Been fine. I have pictures of the process somewhere if you care.

Jeff was quick with this post.

I had just clicked on submit listing and here it was on Xweb :) I also have changed the switch parts around. Changing the front bezel is not very difficult and you can keep which ever bezel you like best.

Back