Headlights not working

Robert Mose

True Classic
I wired up my headlight motors today. The left motor does not respond. I rotate it manually through its entire range of motion and nothing. The right motor only goes down. When I rotate it through its ROM it suddenly closes. I cheecked all the relays and fuses and they are working. The switch is working. Does this mean I need to replace all the diodes or just the ones on the left where I get no movement ?.

PS The grounds are good.

Get out the voltmeter

I would do a bit more troubleshooting before concluding the diodes are at fault.

First check for voltage at each end of the "left/right headlight motor" fuses (my Bertone wiring diagrams refer to these as fuses 9 or K and 10 or I). There should be battery voltage at all times at both ends of each fuse regardless of ignition switch and light switch.

Then check the voltage at each end of the "headlight closing relay" fuse (my Bertone wiring diagrams refer to this as fuse 11 or O) with ignition on and light switch off. There should be battery voltage.

Next check the voltage at each end of the "headlight opening relay" fuse (my Bertone wiring diagrams refer to this as fuse 12 or H) with ignition on and light switch on. There should be battery voltage.

Then measure the "sense" voltage from the right headlight motor as you manually turn the right headlight through an entire up / down cycle. My Bertone wiring diagrams show this wire as GRY/BLK. Ignition switch on, light switch on. You should see battery voltage during half the cycle, no voltage during the other half of the cycle. You should also hear the relay click somewhere around headlight full up and full down.

Repeat the above with ignition on, light switch off. You should see battery voltage at one half of the up / down cycle (opposite cycle from above).

Repeat the last two tests for the left headlight, the sense wire here also shows as GRY/BLK in my wiring diagrams.

With the results of these measurements we should be able to make a very good guess at what is wrong.

Caveat: I don't know how well my map (Bertone wiring diagrams) matches your terrain ('79?)

Last edited:
Well Robert...

As Randolph said... lots to look at here... and ya haveta actually SEE what's going on, and that takes a VOM or a test light.

One other thing I believe he missed and you did not mention were the GROUNDS. Make sure you have good CONTINUITY to ground using your Ohmmeter or a Test light. Test all BLACK leads and all BLOSSUMS to the chassis itself! I would do this BEFORE you do any further testing of voltage sources or diodes. (Its simpler and has been known to be the cause of many problems...)

I once had similar issues wih WHITE FANG when I first got him... One headlamp door would go up and down and the other didn't work at all. I remove all the LAMPS, and WIRING, cleaned all connections and replaced all the bad lamps... and when it was all back together, everything worked!

I know I lived a charmed life... but... Maybe you can too!

I went through all the checks you suggested. The fuse panel checks out. I pulled the relays and bench tested them and they were ok.

When it cam to the headlight motors.
The left side showed no voltage on the gray/black wire with the lights on or off in either phase of the motors rotation.

The right side only showed voltage on one phase with the lights on.

I fixed it!

I removed the motors today and found 3/4 of the diodes blown. The diodes crumbled when I touched them. I replaced all four with IN4007s, put the motors back in and voilà everything worked.
Thanks Randolph, your explanation helped me understand how the whole thing works and I was able to narrow down the problem. :dance2:

Back