Headlights wont go down

Vincenzo7

True Classic
Hi All

been revamping the X recently - new paint , chrome delete added LED driving/directional up front
everything was working fine , with the exception of the directional indicator on the dash, it would flash briefly when I engaged the directional then would not flash any more, I replaced the round flasher relay but that didn't help - i was fine with that .When I took her out for a drive last night headlights worked fine, when I got back to the garage turned off the headlights with the car running , and they stayed up.
i checked the fuses , all good - could both motor relays go bad at the same time ?
I read a bunch of posts about the diodes , - I'm hoping its a simple fix , ground maybe?
any ideas would be appreciated

Update- i manually lowered the headlights, when I started the car on turned headlights on they went up, but did not go down

had to lower manually for the show tomorrow

thanks

Last edited:
The one time I had a similar issue, it turned out the fuse ends and/or the fuse box contacts were oxidized. I used Caig DeoxIT D5 to clean them up.

You said the pods open just fine, so we know the two motor relays are good (same two relays for opening and closing). The relay misleadingly listed as "HEADLIGHT MOTOR PARKING LIGHT" is bypassed when the ignition is on and the light switch is off, so the problem is not there. Fuse "Q" is in the circuit for lowering the headlight pods, so check this fuse again. As @dllubin suggested, perhaps the fuse holder has gotten looser over the years.

Finally, with the ignition off, try turning the headlight switch to parking lights only. This should lower the pods, and if it does I would start sniffing around the headlight switch and related wiring for the problem.

You said you added driving lights; how were these wired in?

Last edited:
I'm with Bjorn. Failing diodes are commun, but not on both side at the same time. There is a fuse lowering the headlamps, it should be that.

Back