Hello from France!

Fovea3d

Daily Driver
Hello,

My name is Alain and I live in Strasbourg Alsace France, close to the german border that I cross sometimes for a trip with the X (autobahn!!!)
I was reading Xweb for a long time, it is a very informative place with kind people so I decided to register and say hello.

As a teenager I was a big fan of car design, that was in the 70', 80's, the era of Bertone, Pininfarina, Guigiaro, the Countach, the Berlinetta Boxer, the Stratos, etc...
To me, the X1/9 became the symbol of this era, also being affordable, efficient and funny to drive I was hooked. This is why I have own a X1/9 since 1988 and maybe forever.

I currently drive my 4th X, a 1979 1500 in stock form, it has the bumper removed and Cromodora CD30's along with few other parts that came from my previous X. It is clear of rust. This was the personnal car of a friend who has a body repair shop and has who took great care of it.
When the time will come, I will give it to him for a fresh and complete paintjob.

Last year I discovered autocross with the X in a category where the cars must be street legal with no modifications allowed. I had quite good results, doing even better in stock form than a few non street legal race cars...

Sorry if english may sound weird, this is not my native language.

Long live to the X1/9!

Alain

01.jpg

More pictures:
"Get together" in France last sunday 11 april
Autocrossing

Nice X...

It is nice to hear from others around the globe who share our passion for these little cars. Your English is fine and I am sure that it is much better than my French. ;-)

Welcome to the site and look forward to seeing more from our French friends.
n1253028430_72393_5554.jpg

Bonjour Alain

That's almost the extent of my French! Welcome and what a beautiful X. Just be careful, now that JJ sees the amazing French countryside he might want to bring his cars over there to pose them for pictures!
Welcom,
Dave

Welcome Alain and CAIO!

(Caio is the only "French" I know... HA!)

Great photos and I would say you are indeed quite an enthusiast!

Looking forward to seeing more!

Welcome to Xweb Alain!

Hello,

My name is Alain and I live in Strasbourg Alsace France, close to the german border that I cross sometimes for a trip with the X (autobahn!!!)
I was reading Xweb for a long time, it is a very informative place with kind people so I decided to register and say hello.

Sorry if english may sound weird, this is not my native language.

Long live to the X1/9!

Alain

Your english is just fine and we are pleased to have you here with us. :)

Salut Alain

Alain ta voiture est superbe .... oups I'm writting in french!
Welcome Alain,

French far cousin from Québec
Yves

Bienvenue Alain!

I'm sure that you will find this Forum useful. I had an X the whole time I lived in France (in Grenoble)

IMG_1623.JPG

Somehow I could easily pass the "contrôle technique" in France but had some issues with the TÜV here in Germany, so I had to change cars... :sigh:

Anyway, welcome!

Cheers,
Dom.

On devrait partir un "thread" en français!

Welcome,
Nice car. I'm curious about autocross rules in France. Do you have a link or a document? There is some differences with Canadian or SCCA (USA) rules for sure, cause in North America, bumper removal is not street legal.

Daniel Forest
Montreal, Canada
1987 white Bertone X1/9
1980 black Fiat X1/9

Hello!
Thank you fo your warm welcome X1/9 friends :)

*BrettM Is that black 1500 yours? Congrats for this beauty. I always liked the X1/9 in black, and yours with the euro bumpers looks like a dream.

*Greg: Yes Raffi was with us last sunday for the X1/9 gathering. He is 2-3 hours driving from here. The Diabolic GTS Stradale is really... diabolic :eek:mg:

*black-tooth: Ciao! (in fact ciao is italian :D) I will post more, particulary some videos as I have the habit to film all the X1/9 events...

*Yves! Salut Yves! Merci pour le compliment. Elle sera encore plus belle une fois la peinture refaite :lol:

*dcioccarelli: Very nice french white X1/9!

*Danielforest: The rules are in french, sorry:
http://joesgarage.easy-hebergement.info/reglementslalom.pdf
I race in the L category. Basically all you need is a helmet and a street legal car, with street tires, etc. No power or suspension upgrades allowed. I was anxious about my Ansa muffler and airbox but the last time I raced they did not bother. The L category only exists for autocross racing and is subdivided in 2 sub-categories: L1: cars under 1400 cubic centimeter, turbo and convertible cars not allowed. L2: cars under 2000 cc and under 1200 kg (2400lbs) turbo and convertible not allowed but turbo-diesel allowed. With my 1500 X1/9 I run in the L2 category.
The bumpers removal is legal here for street usage, so it is for autocrossing as well. The last time I raced they only checked the tires and seat belts. Oh and too bad, the hardtop has to be on for racing, and the windows closed.
Alain

Last edited:
French is ok...

Salut Alain,

In fact, there are many French speaking Canadian on this forum. It's really practical. We could switch to French everytime we want to badmouth some of those stupid Americans...:) Oups! I shoud have said that in French!

I happened to do AutoSlalom myself (another name for Autocross) and I'm on the ASN Canada National SoloSport committee. So the French autoslalom rules are of interest to me. Thank you!

If you happened to visit Montreal, let me know. There is a Fiat Club and some AutoSlalom clubs, so I could keep you busy... :love:

Daniel Forest
1987 white Bertone X1/9
1980 black Fiat X1/9

Welcome Alain!

Variety is truly the spice of life! It's hard to find another forum that has such a diverse group of people. I LOVE seeing the beautiful pictures X owners have taken from all over the world. Breathtaking views. 'Bout the only thing that tops it are the people taking the pics! Welcome to the forum!

Hello!

Welcome!
I'm relatively new to this forum as well, but wanted to say hello.
Very nice car!

Encore salut!

I checked some links and found the European autocross is really different than North American autocross. In the States, autocross are on paved surfaces with cones delimiting the curse designed. In Europe, it's un unpaved surface circuit. In the US cars are mostly road cars modified for that purpose, or simply stock cars while in Europe you seem to have a higher % of modified cars. But it is still seems to be fun!

Daniel Forest
Montreal, Canada

Salut Daniel!

Yes it is quite different.
Cars are separated in 2 categories: stock everything (street legal) and race cars. The race cars are generally the same used for hillclimb competitions, so you have open wheelers and prototypes as well.
Check for "slalom auto" on youtube. This is what autocross is called here. A few are organized like in the US with cones on paved parking lots but most are set on normal streets, generally in industrial areas. A few are set on go-kart tracks with a few cones in the straights to break the speed.
I can't wait for the next slalom on a go-kart track with the X (in august this year).

Here you will see that some competitions are a mix of slalom and hillclimb:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw8DVh6G7JA"]YouTube- X1/9 Slalom Cerroni.M.[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqrszutZbSg&feature=related"]YouTube- Fiat X1/9 Dallara Team Giacomelli[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDScYEVAm6U"]YouTube- camera car x1/9 dallara 1600 cc 16v. Cerroni[/ame]

And this is the slalom on a go-kart track where I plan to attend this year.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pvt8T_64ak"]YouTube- bmw 3 frontières[/ame]

Alain

Last edited:
Variety is truly the spice of life! It's hard to find another forum that has such a diverse group of people. I LOVE seeing the beautiful pictures X owners have taken from all over the world. Breathtaking views. 'Bout the only thing that tops it are the people taking the pics! Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for your nice words!

Hello Alain,

Welcome to the X family.. I have often wondered what happened to the x1/9 in France. There is a French x1/9 web page.. are you related to this group?

It's great to see the images of your X and the French country side.

Bernice

Hello,

My name is Alain and I live in Strasbourg Alsace France, close to the german border that I cross sometimes for a trip with the X (autobahn!!!) I was reading Xweb for a long time, it is a very informative place with kind people so I decided to register and say hello.
http://joesgarage.easy-hebergement.info/photos/100415xweb/13.jpg

Hello Bernice,

Thank you very much for your warm welcome. The X1/9 community of France is rather small but active. Here the X has a good reputation but is rather rare in the streets and most (mostly young) people don't know that car. There is a french X1/9 forum and I am registered there as well. Here you can see more pictures of my X
Thank you and best regards!
Alain

Welcome Alain

It is a very beautiful X indeed. I like that black front hood, very original.
Thanks for the pics and welcome again.

Hello Alain,

How active is this French x1/9 forum? The questions and discussions seem to be similar to the ones discussed here, only they can get many more FIAT spares and other related parts in France..

Bernice

Hello Bernice,

Thank you very much for your warm welcome. The X1/9 community of France is rather small but active. Here the X has a good reputation but is rather rare in the streets and most (mostly young) people don't know that car. There is a french X1/9 forum and I am registered there as well. Here you can see more pictures of my X
Thank you and best regards!
Alain

Back