Hello from NeilMc

NeilMc

Daily Driver
Hi everyone from Aurora Ontario Canada. I've been a silent member here for some time, messaging well known members for advice. I've been encouraged to post my story and contribute what I can to this great site.
We bought our 1975 "Little Red Car" in 1980 from a student that wanted a quick sale in London Ont. She had bought the car the year before from a teacher who was the original owner. The car had a siezed front brake and other issues I did not know about at the time, but for $850 I couldn't complain. I was not familiar with the X1/9 at the time and I was looking for an 850 since a friend had one and I loved driving it. My fiancee (now wife) spotted the car in the lot and said we had to buy it. She knew more about X1/9s than I did.
After I fixed the brakes and passed the safety test we enjoyed the car for two summers.
My two favourite pictures of the X are from our wedding and honeymoon. The first is as we are leaving. "Just Married" is still visible in the paint.
1.jpeg

Our honeymoon was a road trip through Quebec, Vermont and upstate New York. The next picture is on Île d'Orléans. I'm looking north towards the Mont St Anne ski resort.
2.jpeg

The other issues that appeared shortly after purchase were a burnt exhaust valve, a partially torn-away front right radius rod support, and some severe corrosion where the rear control arms are supported. Thus in 1982 with this to deal with and the economy in turmoil, we took the car off the road until such time we could fix it properly.

In 1991 we had the structural rust and control arm support dealt with professionally. The control arm area after repair is shown:
IMG_0300.jpg

While the engine was out to enable rust repair, the clutch slave piston came out and by the time I noticed the circuit was full of mouldy crud. Every five years or so, I would try again to clean it out and bleed the trapped air, and fail. This was the biggest frustration I have had with the car so far. My Ahah moment was reading Bernice's ( @Rupunzell ) post saying that the master cylinders are mounted four degrees nose down. So up went the nose and out came the trapped air with a back flush of hydraulic fluid. Thank-you Bernice!
Further progress has been slow since it is too cold to work in the garage during the winter but I am progressing where I can.
IMG_0287.jpg

My goal is to get it on the road this summer after 39 years in storage. I have many upgrades planned, but they can wait until next summer or later. Thanks to everyone that replied to my requests for advice.
I'll update this thread as my projects get completed.

Welcome. Nice story and nice to have you here.

Feel free to post up questions if you can stand the side jaunts we tend to wander off to.

I hope you go back to the OE color, it is a good one. Some of the welds on the radius rod support look a bit hinky.

Happy to see your progress.

Thanks Karl.
No reason to change from orange-red. For me it is the classic Italian sports car colour.
I am also not overly happy with the welds. I met up with @rx1900 and he suggested I include this since
he was unaware of anyone else experiencing this. Its almost like a PO took a speed bump much too fast.

Thanks Karl.
No reason to change from orange-red. For me it is the classic Italian sports car colour.
I am also not overly happy with the welds. I met up with @rx1900 and he suggested I include this since
he was unaware of anyone else experiencing this. Its almost like a PO took a speed bump much too fast.
I would think it would take more than that to tear one off. If it was rusty perhaps a speed bump could have done it but I would think it was a more significant impact. I would look carefully at the lower arm mount as well to see how or if it was distorted by the same incident.

I spend quite a bit of time in Pottageville if you know where that is! Back in the 80's and into the 90's before Elvis bought his house there. Lots of nice roads out Orangeville way, Forks of the Credit was a great road in the 80's now it's plain scary with all the bikers and people throwing sand on the road. Still, the area has some great spots.

Salt in Ontario is a big thing, lots of ice in the winter and it takes a big toll on cars that handle well in the snow. I saw an X last year so bad it had almost become one with the mud it sat in. I was going to offer him $$ for the vin and ownership but it disappeared so I didn't even bother asking.

Neil, I have to admit you beat me. I'm restoring mine for 21 years now. And after 10 years, I bought another one to help me waiting... I really hope I will not reach 39 years in storage because I will probably be too old to be driving anymore.

The body seems straight, so go for it!

BTW, Québec was a great honeymoon choice!

Daniel,
That spot on Ile d'Orleans hasn't changed at all:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.010...4!1sIvAhZnfg8MFJDhig6g14rQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I have a connection to Quebec because I am a retired Bombardier engineer. We're often there for skiing and sailing. It is "the beautiful province"
(provincial motto).

Welcome to Xweb, willing to share what was worked on while at Bombardie? Yes, they make aerospace vehicles in Canada, but the details are often interesting.

Bernice

I had stress cracks around the radius arm brackets. I just hope I never roll my car because I don't want anyone to see the booger welds.
They have held for over eighteen years now.
You might want to check out the threaded end of the radius for fatigue.
Close to ten years ago I had one break off allowing the tire to move back against the inner fender well.
Luckily it happened in my driveway as I was pulling into the garage.
I say lucky because I had just been pushing it fairly hard on one of my favorite curvy stretches and winding it out on the straight away.

I had stress cracks around the radius arm brackets. I just hope I never roll my car because I don't want anyone to see the booger welds.
They have held for over eighteen years now.
You might want to check out the threaded end of the radius for fatigue.
Close to ten years ago I had one break off allowing the tire to move back against the inner fender well.
Luckily it happened in my driveway as I was pulling into the garage.
I say lucky because I had just been pushing it fairly hard on one of my favorite curvy stretches and winding it out on the straight away.
Yikes! sometime you just seem to get lucky.

It's been a busy year! The car just came back from the painter looking beautiful in its original colour. It needs to sit for a few days before I can start putting it back together. The body guy redid the ropey welding for the front radius rod support.
IMG_0005.jpeg

Here's a list of what I've done so far.
Gas tank POR15 treatment.
New gas tank sender
New oil warning sender
Desmogged with Vic pulley (no shoulders), Yugo bracket and Uno timing belt cover. No issues with belt walk.
IMG_0302.jpg

Brake box reno, new masters, new hoses (thoroughly unpleasant job)
new rad and heater hoses
new front and 38mm rear brake callipers
new parking brake cables
EBC rotors and stainless hoses
replacement steering rack with custom bronze @Rupunzell bushing. The rack tube was dented from a previous staking so it had to be a custom bushing.
IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

Euro 1500 intake manifold
Yugo FI exhaust manifold (documented on another thread)
Custom Yugo 2-1 downpipe (documented on another thread)
KYB shocks with shortened front springs, front Plaia plates and heavy duty strut mounts
Uno 65amp Bosch alternator (needed a pulley mod since it has a different offset)
Many small things.
Many things still to do, hopeful of a drive before the season ends.
Thanks to everyone that has sold me parts and given me advice. I really appreciate this forum and its members.

Well done. Looks great too! This forum is the best - full of super helpful people and lots of folks using the messaging function and offline features to get stuff done.
replacement steering rack with custom bronze @Rupunzell bushing
Wow - yeah, Bernice is a super capable engineer with loads of knowledge and capabilities. I love that she machined you a custom bushing to make the rack work.

Well done. Looks great too! This forum is the best - full of super helpful people and lots of folks using the messaging function and offline features to get stuff done.

Wow - yeah, Bernice is a super capable engineer with loads of knowledge and capabilities. I love that she machined you a custom bushing to make the rack work.
I may have been unclear. The machining was done by my local guy and he needed the rack on hand. Bernice is an inspiration to all of us. I hope her quick recovery from the bicycle accident.

I may have been unclear. The machining was done by my local guy and he needed the rack on hand. Bernice is an inspiration to all of us. I hope her quick recovery from the bicycle accident.
We all hope for her recovery.

Nice piece.

Early cars like mine did not have a passenger side mirror. I guess it wasn't needed back in the day because it was illegal most places to overtake on the right. Today it is essential. Searching through XWeb, I couldn't find a solution for early cars I liked.
I picked up this mirror from Fiatplus. It is as close as I can find to the original Vitaloni 30003 with which I replaced the original when it rusted out.

OE replacement for the original:
IMG_0471.jpg

Next is the Fiatplus mirror.
IMG_0472.jpg

And side by side.
IMG_0473.jpg

The next task was to replace the flat glass of the new mirror with convex glass. I tried locally to find custom-cut convex mirrors but to no avail.
Searching on-line, I found a UK company that provides custom made replacement mirror glass at reasonable prices.
https://phoenixwingmirrors.co.uk/
I sent them the original flat glass, which they are keeping as a template should anyone need one, and obtained a small number of convex parts. These are available in a separate thread.

Here is a photo of the driver side:
IMG_0027.jpeg

And the passenger side. Sorry for the poor photo.
IMG_0028.jpeg

I'm pleased with the result, a close to stock passenger side mirror.

Last edited:
I picked up a set of those mirrors several years ago from an Ebay seller in Crete. Other than being black and made by Vitaloni, they were very close to the Cromodora stock DS unit on my 78.
mirrors1.JPG

I just went through a similar exercise; The passenger side mirror on my '85 was flat rather than convex (were they all this way?), and had to be adjusted as far up and out as it goes to be usable. I did not come across Phoenix Wing Mirrors in my search, but found a local company willing to cut a convex mirror down to size for me on their water jet machine. I also had a nylon shim 3D printed, convex on the mirror side, flat on the other, that aims the mirror a bit out and up.

Back