Hello from Scotland Uk. 1300 Lido info wanted

paullido

Daily Driver
Am new to this forum so thought would post to say hello.
I am a long term classic Italian car nut having owned some cars whilst they came out! EG Alfasud, Fiat 127 etc. My first classic was a Fulvia 1.3. Since then owned a few different cars and presently collect mainly Bertone ones!
Have had X'ys since 1991 and have had two long term 1500 Grand finales as they called them in UK
Just bought a fully restored 1300 Lido which i pick up on saturday. It was shown at last years Classic Motor show in NEC England
Have had two Lidos in the past which I was intending to restore but didnt and sold on
Was in the UK OC for a long time and edited the technical compendium for some years
Dont have too much info on the LIdo and was hoping some knowledgeable person on here may be able to assist
Any ideas how many were made?
Which countries they were sold in?
Were there any variations in trim spec etc?
Hope someone can help
Paul Santoni
Scotland
UK

Welcome Paul:

I can only relay some of what I have read (euro and US books and magazines).

Limited run, Black metallic over white vinyl mit unique chrome bumpers. UK only.

Please share photos when you get her home...

:thumbsup:

Info from the Phil Ward book

"A Collector's Guide Fiat X1/9"

Starting at the last paragraph on page 28 :
Nevertheless, Fiat agreed to relaunch the car, hence in 1977 came the next Serie Speciale. Naturally, Fiat were happy to accept the credit for the subsequent increase in sales. The special edition, introduced in the summer of 1977, was called the Lido, and from April 1978, 700 cars were made availablein the UK from chassis number 128AS00088201. The metallic black car sported chrome bumpers, a silver side stripe, tinted glass and white imitation suede upholstery."

On page 39 the following text accompanies the Lido pics:
Originally intended as a special edition for the Swiss market, the Lido, named after the famous Paris night club that was used for the cars launch, became available in the UK in 1978. Fiat's publicity department made extensive use of the black and white theme adopted for the cars color scheme.
... and ...
The Lido is the only X1/9 to have been fitted with chrome bumpers throughout its production life.

Two Lido's are pictured. One with the tag "YBY 173S' and the other with tag "YAP 68T".

Hope that helps. :)

Awesome score !

Paul welcome and congrats on my favorate example the ~ Lido!

UK X1/9 owners club has a nice page on the Lido here >>>

http://www.x1-9ownersclub.org.uk/index.php?page=lido

Lido was sold in Europe and predominantly in the UK with 700 Lido's reported imported in.

AND get those photos going please :) :worship:

lido-2.jpg

lido3.jpg

Welcome Paul...

I'm afraid not only is there very little info on the Lido here in he States... but I doubt there is even one on these shores. All I have ever seen is pictures.

Not my particular cup-o-tea, either... but I can appreciate your appreciation of them.

Looks to be only an aesthetic "upgrade", but you would know better than most. You've certainly joined and even MORE exclusive "click" in this already exclusive "club" of X1/9s!

Again, welcome, and lookin forward to seeing photos of yours.

Paul here is another useful page for ya!

:thumbsup: >>> http://www.x19world.de/ausstattung_en.html

Delivery-countries: Switzerland, France, Belgium and Great Britain; according to Bertone the car was only meant for the swiss market

Fiat startet selling the car in France in spring of 1977 (35.900 F.) and in GB in may 1978 (4.275£).
Numbers of cars produced: ca. 700

Basic equipment same as X1/9 1300 Series Speciale (called "Exclusiv" in Germany), produced 4/76 to 7/78

Pecularities:

- Color black metallic, Fiat color code 813
- green tinted windows all around
- Bumpers chromium plated
- Interior, seats and parts of the inner door panels Alcantara (fake suede); there are
some differences between the picture in the sales brochure and my Lido. I think
that Fiat changed the layout of the seats while producing the car.

Really cool stuff on that site!

Like the original press release... You should print off on quality stock paper! My work here is done :)

pressemitteilung.jpg

Greg... HAHAHA...

Think about it...

A MR. DUSTIN VAN MITCHELL??? Somewhere in the USA with a LHD???

I think someone just pulled our MITCHELL!

HAHAHA!

Yeah it does sound far-fetched but...

lidoo.jpg

pressebild_2.jpg

I'm just sayin' that print out Register for the foreign country many times only has 2 slots. (ie- not for City, State & USA)

Sooo that Mitchell USA could possibly mean Mitchell, Indiana USA and so forth.

The dream is still alive. Anyway I thought you hate looking at "bricks" :p

driving20on20the20left.gif

Hi guys
thank you very much for the kind welcome. I had checked the books and saw that 700 were apparently imported to the UK and the other markets to which they were sold, bt isn't clear what the total production by the factory actually was? I have seen numbering up to about 6000 on the side of cars and not sure if that meant there were 6000 in total produced? Seems a lot for a limited edition although Fiat did try and use the launch for lots of publicity! It worked! Remember it at the time
My car is reg YAP 68T think there are a lot of pics of it about? Will post when I get the car
I know there are cars in Holland and Germany
Happy to be corrected or added to as keen to see if anyone does know total production.
I have the original UK sales brochures but wasnt sure if there were 'extras' that could be ordered?
Paul

Good idea Mickey!

Paul here is a page from X1/9 Europa FRANCE...

http://translate.google.com/translate?tl=en&sourceid=ie8-activity&u=http://x19europa.free.fr/joomla/

So this info says production 18,451 ~ ! AND looks like only option or "extras" would be the Cromodora wheels.

Please post any of your findings in this thread as well as we have much info going now that can be easily retrieved :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1977: A new limited edition is presented in the Champs Elysees before the "Blue Bells Girls".This is the famous X1 / 9 Lido regarded by many as the finest of all models. But as always in France, it will take many months before they can afford this little jewel of a car. The Lido is officially sold in France in spring 1978, it will also be introduced in Britain in a limited edition 700 models with RHD.

Its paint is metallic black with silver edging to put up the car. The roll bar is decorated with a white logo "X1 · 9" and the trunk is adorned with a sticker "Lido" positioned above the logo X1 / 9. The bumpers are chrome and give a chic look to the car. The interior is not left with the adoption of a luxury liner in ivory white Alcantara (a kind of tissue very soft suede-like). The spoiler incorporates the style of one of the special series but is offered in a soft rubber.The windows are tinted green bronze and the carpet is gray slate. The X1 / 9 Lido is floor Cromodora aluminum wheels (optional 1200 F).The mechanics remained unchanged from previous models.
The price is set at Lido 35.900F (it is far from 21.900F 1 model in November 1972).

Production 1977: 18,451 vehicles.

Negative is reversed....

HA!

OK... you win... but I would say by EXCEPTION!

It would appear he RHD logic is more prevalent... Love that map, it supports their export statement also!

I thought the map was reversed too

HA!

OK... you win... but I would say by EXCEPTION!

It would appear he RHD logic is more prevalent... Love that map, it supports their export statement also!

But then I realized the right-hand/left-hand thing had to do with the side of the road you drive on, not the side of the car the steering wheel is on. But I would assume they are always converse.

Pete

Back