Help... I've changed timing belt and I can'y get up!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Help... I've changed timing belt and I can'y get up!!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001 at 1:08 AM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "M";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "J";n54_em = n54_em + "R";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l"; document.write("Hugo Corona/Jack Mangas"); // --> </SCRIPT>Hugo Corona/Jack Mangas <NOSCRIPT> Hugo Corona/Jack Mangas </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->OOOOpppsss!!! I replaced my water pump belt and unfortunatelly the pulley was improperly positioned and broke the studs that hold it together causing the vehicle to overheat. We replaced the belt, thermostat and water temp sending unit, and rebuilt the crank pulley. While doing so, We decided to replace the timing belt because we didn't know how old it was. It turns out to be that it was very new but, since we had taken it out we replaced it with a new one anyway. Both crank and cam gear positions were marked before removing the belt, however, they were not top dead center. When we replaced the belt we noticed the position of the gears and ensured that they remained in the same place, however, when we started it, it ran without power nor acceleration and was vibrating more than a washer on spin cycle, I shut the engine off and then it wouldn't start. We decided to go by the book and reset the crank and cam gears at top dead center and now the car won't even start. We adjusted the timing at the cam gear one tooth at a time to up to two teeth advancing and retarding it and advanced and retarded the distributor all over and nothing. We checked for spark in two cylinders and we are ok, we looked for loose wires and couldn't find any, we restricted the air intake to force the car to suck more gas since we had disconnected one of the fuel lines and still nothing. Jack thinks that since we had the car lifted and tried to start the car on the passenger side only, the gas sediments could have clogged the fuel filter if it is located on the driver's side, the car had a quarter tank of gas. Help us please, I am presently located in Hawaii and transferring to the mainlad in three days. Any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated, or, in worst case scenario, if you could direct us to a mech here in Oahu who is familiar with the X 1/9 we will appreciate it too.
Email address is also: travelinghugo@yahoo.com<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hmmmm...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 12:28 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I always thought the 1500 was the engine that was suseptical to valves running into pistons.

Others say it is the 1300... in either case...

1. There are THREE gears to align... you only mention TWO. Make sure the cam, crank and AUX shaft pully are on their marks.

2. With everything aligned... distributor rotor should be pointing at #1 or #4 positions. I like #1... others say #4 is just as good!

3. Pull plugs, with everything aligned, turn over engine by HAND, (put in gear and slowly push, if necessary) and insure there is no binding or strange noises.

4. Turn over engine with starter... check for same.

5. Conduct a COMPRESSION TEST. Test twice, once using oil... If all OK and no metal comes out, then you should be all aligned and timed.

6. Reinstall plugs and fire.

7. Crank only a few revolutions at a time. If no fire... squirt or dump a tablespoon of gas down carb.
That will prove your "clog" theory... true or false.

I'm outta ideas... hope the engine's OK... let us know... and where will you be coming stateside?

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli, Two '79s, WHITE FANG and BLACK TOOTH
Santa Clarita, CA, http://americanx19.tripod.com/owner.htm<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("steve ambrose"); // --> </SCRIPT>steve ambrose <NOSCRIPT> steve ambrose </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Not quite Tony....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 1:16 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi there, a couple of things going on with your post..
Stock USA spec 1500's will NOT bend valves no matter where the cam timing is. They have deep cutouts in the piston crowns for this reason. A very few, late 1300's are this way as well, but 95% of them have the shallow cutouts that will cause bent valves if the timing is off more that a couple of teeth.

You are right about 3 shafts to line up BUT, for purposes of cam timing, the dist rotor must point at #4 when the cam mark is lined up with the mark!! You can check the ignition timing off of either #1 or #4 and it will be exactly the same, but you need to set the distributor to #4 when setting the cam timing so that it fires the #4 plug at the top of the compression stroke.. If you set the dist to #1, it will fire #4 at the top of the exhaust stroke!!!

I don't know much, but I know this to be true
happy.gif

Steve<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Thanks Steve... that should be GOOD NEWS for Hugo...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 2:42 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I find that the older I git, the less I know for sure... and with the internet and the easily manipulated video features... I can only believe half of what I see anymore!

I did go back to my Haynes manual to see if there were any upgrades to the valve clearance issue... so I assumed there were none. I have a whole new feeling of security also.

I just hope Hugo didn't modify anything!

Haynes also DOES NOT make reference to the #4 plug or to aligning the Aux shaft pulley... Only the Cam and Crank... that is, as far as these old eyes can tell!

And as far as YOU not knowing anything... HA! The "STEVES" of this forum are looked upon as the SME's (Subject Matter Experts) for Engines and Transmissions, respectively.

I find that the most KNOWLEDGEABLE of persons are also the most humble... I've a long way to go!

Thanks, and...

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli, Two '79s, WHITE FANG and BLACK TOOTH
Santa Clarita, CA, http://americanx19.tripod.com/owner.htm<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("steve ambrose"); // --> </SCRIPT>steve ambrose <NOSCRIPT> steve ambrose </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'm blushing!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 5:14 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Thanks for the kind words Tony. I don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Steve H.!!
I got to meet him at an auto-x this weekend... What a very nice guy.. he's as nice and knowledgable in person as on the forum.. was a pleasure to meet him.

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Hugo and Jack[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Thaks to all/ we got up!! Dist on 4. (N/T)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 11:06 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
happy.gif

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Stu Brennan[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Another timing problem and question.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 31 2001, 12:29 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I changed a 1.3l engine in my x set the timing marks statically and everything lines up well. It starts and runs but when I check the timing with a light the Crank shaft is at TDC but the Cam shaft mark is about an inch ahead of the cam timing mark. When I stop it and manually set the timing marks they line up perfectly.
The dwell angle shows 46 degrees, the engine stumbles and does not idle well. It will rev fine with power to about 5,000k but above this I'm hear a clatter that sounds like pre-ignition or valve chatter. Points are set at .017mm.

I don't understand how the timing marks can line up and yet not be aligned when it is running. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hmmmmmmm?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 31 2001, 1:34 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi there.. when you line everything up manually, you have the crank at TDC, and the camshaft lines up with it's mark... correct? And when it's running, and the timing light connected to #4, the crank still shows TDC, but the cam is off??? Don't see how this can happen. The belt ties the cam and crank together so that every other time the crank is at TDC, the cam mark will line up.

Now keep in mind that as the motor speeds up, the timing advances and the marks will move. However, if it lines up at TDC when it's stationary, and the crank is still at TDC when it's idling, then the cam has to be at the mark also....

Your dwell should be at 55 degrees, DO NOT use the vacuum device on the distributor, and set the timing at 10 degrees at idle.

Let us know what you find,

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]JP Smith[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Correct me if<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 4:32 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'm wrong Steve but I always thought that it doesn't matter where the aux pulleys location is on assembly. The important thing is to lift the dizzy and relocate to firing position on # 4 cyl. My aux pulley doesn't have a timing mark anyhow. Howzat. JP<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->No correction needed :)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 30 2001, 5:09 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi there.. there is no mark on the aux pulley, if you put one there before removing the old belt(white out works great), you won't have to pull the dist. Otherwise, you are correct... all that matters is that the dist is set to fire on #4 when the cam timing marks are aligned...

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Stu Brennan[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Timing has got me.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]July 31 2001, 5:38 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I have the marks lining up properly, crank at TDC as shown on the yellow belt cover (most forward mark)and cam at the little bump on engine mount., dist. is pointing at #4 plug and 4 is on compression stroke.
Everything lines up statically but when running with the crank at TDC using the timing light now the cam mark is about an inch in front of the bump on the timing cover. It has me completely lost. I have changed timing belts before and never had a problem with the timing.
Is it possible to put a pulley on incorrectly? I think they are fitted with a key?
I'm going to take the belt right off and start again but I'm lost on this one.
Thanks for the help. Stu<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back