[help] manual window regulator wont roll up the window.

Stoney#1

Stoney
Imgur Album

We were taking off the door panels to lubricate the regulator, because it was cranking really hard. After taking all the paneling and waterproofing off, we cranked down the window to see how it all worked, and it went down really easy (too easy, as cranking down used to be the hard part) then when we tried cranking it back up it would just turn, and not crank the window.

Since then we have taking out the regulator, found that the rod slid out (picture 3 you can see the clean metal after the black bar) we have put all the wires in their correct position on the wheel thing, and attempted to peen out the top of the rod so it wouldn't slide out anymore (to no avail)

anybody been through this before?

is there something we might be missing?

edit: 1982 model

No idea but your post has no pictures attached. You referenced a picture in your post.

My Grandson put them on. I noticed that also, but by then he had left.
As far as the regulator(winder) goes, it is toast. There is an internal part made of white metal or aluminum that is broken up. Will be calling MWB in the morning to get new ones. Drivers side still works, but if I am doing it may as well do both! Thanks for the comment!
If anyone has any suggestions or tips on installing new ones, would appreciate the help

Thanks again

? how about the thought up updating to the other style that does not have the cable system.

Strange that the driver side is good and the passenger broke. (maybe the drive side was replaced before you got the car) (usually the driver side see's more use is why I was thinking strange) (and if it has already been done might not need it again. just something to ponder)

great pic's!!

Keep us updated on the project!! We all love seeing other people's car's and projects

Up grade

I had thought about that, but would really like to keep everything as original as possible. Thanks for the suggestion.

but if I am doing it may as well do both!
I wouldn't bother with the other one unless it was showing signs of failure also.... No particular reason to think that it;s near the end of its life just because its brother died.

I like the way you put that! Grandson won't be back for several weekends, so will keep you all updated as to our progress! Thanks again to all for support, suggestions and Humor :)

Eureka!! We finally got the operator installed and working properly. This is a task that should be reserved for a time when you are in really good humor. Because you won't be when finished. Thanks to a BBrown detailed post that my grandson and I read several times we figured it out. The diagram in the manual is very misleading as to which cable goes on the tensioning pulley. We did have to operate the cable to each extreme to get it properly seated in grooves in order to get slack enough to get cable around last pulley.
Thank you to bbrown for all the help

Back