Here is something you don't see everyday - or any day....

I looked through all the pics, It looks like a very high quality build! Even the body's in decent shape! That seems like a good price... Not too sure about a beetle, air rear suspension though... Beetles aren't exactly known for their handling... But I'm also not very familiar with the 850 rear suspension for comparison... 150 hp 850 could be quite entertaining though!😁

Last edited:
Back in the heyday of air-cooled VW's, putting the rear-engine VW trans/engine into small rear-engine Fiats was kind of popular considering. Not only 500's, 850's, 650's, but several X1/9s as well. There was a very successful rear-engine VW powered X1/9 (silhouette body) drag car:

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 21
Have no relation or knowledge of seller:

Jimmy: Thanks for posting this. Who needs the Hurst 'Hemi Under Glass' wheelstanding demo vehicle when you can have this? My idea: buy it, sell the twin cam, change the VW transaxle to Hewland Mark 7 six speed specs and insert a nice 903.

Looking through the gdrive of pics I have a huge appreciation for the many many hours of labor to do this. Hats off, but man, the result? Much less than the sum of its parts. Call me a hater, but the rear panel cut out so the engine pulley pokes out the back? Seriously. That instrument panel, yuck. The angle of the steering rack arms, bump steer anyone? And it doesn't seem like the thing ever ran. So you're getting a car that doesn't run and has a hacked up chassis and suspension. What do you do with this? I know, I'm a hater. Moving on...

Looking through the gdrive of pics I have a huge appreciation for the many many hours of labor to do this. Hats off, but man, the result? Much less than the sum of its parts. Call me a hater, but the rear panel cut out so the engine pulley pokes out the back? Seriously. That instrument panel, yuck. The angle of the steering rack arms, bump steer anyone? And it doesn't seem like the thing ever ran. So you're getting a car that doesn't run and has a hacked up chassis and suspension. What do you do with this? I know, I'm a hater. Moving on...
Good points but I think much could be mitigated, it’s all about development isn’t it? With a different knowledge base we all make different choices.

Yeah it would require some work to make this better but I would love to have the time to do so.

Does anyone know how to contact the seller? I responded to the Samaba ad and no response. Does anyone know if the car is still for sale, etc? My guess is that the car sold quickly and the seller is just not answering inquiries? Either that or it's a scam???

CL ad is still up - might have some additional contact info there?

Also on FB

Thanks Jimmy,
I left a couple of messages. Still a bit worried about a scam though. The ad has been up far too long in my opinion. Does anyone know the seller, or has anyone seem the car? Anyone close by???

Does anyone know the seller
See post #7 above. Could be a scam, but I think it's been listed for sale for about 6 months. Scams usually are answered quickly. Someone beat up by FB and CL trolls might just be worn out by now? Sometimes sellers don't want to respond to out of state buyers too for whatever reason; maybe worried they might get scammed. And, it might have sold and the seller doesn't respond which is very common on CL/FB.

Seller did respond and sent a phone number. We talked a bit. If it is a scam, he's pretty good.
I think that’s johnt on this forum.

Back