Here's the way to buy an X

And I thought all Xheads are

good solid citizens. May be slightly twisted here and here.
Are there many jailbirds in this here virtual society ???
Would my mother approve my associates in here ???:D

Sweet Deal

Hey Mudge, your offer to garage the car and take care of her for me is a sign of amazing generosity and I'm going to think long and hard about it... but not too long :). Thank you sincerely.

I have friends here that offered to garage her too, but even though I don't know you, you're probably more reliable than they are!

I had Steve remove the bumpers for me so that may be an issue with street legality too in CA. Nevada people don't even put hoods over their engines when they drive, so bumpers are a luxury not a requirement here. Also, Steve took off the Caty, its straight pipe. No way it would pass smog in CA. Its meant for autox. Don't know if that changes things for you, but there's always someone out there (like me) looking to go faster and finding ways around the law.

Its going to be weird being X-free... Might just have to start looking for one in London... not sure how my left hand will adjust to shifting gears!

And Mike, remember you gave me Mike Hokanson's #? He and I fixed the clutch of my two tone '84 at his place in Fallon. I had your number in my phone until it died... small world.

Ok. Talk soon,
Francis

Your mother woulda loved me Herzel...

Except when I got those 2 speeding tickets on a Motorcycle back in the early 70's :shock::nana:

Herzel.....

That was my only, ever, brush with incarceration. I was out by 1:00PM. My roomate bailed me out with a bad check but we were able to cover the funds before it cleared. Remember, this was '69 when it took up to a week for a check to clear.

Funny part was, they lost track of my original ticket that they hauled me in on, but still charged me with illegle use of plates.

Went home and got stoned............remember....it was '69! :sun:

Well, it's an available option anyway.

Without a CAT it would be impossible to get it thru smog in CA. They don't give a hoot about bumpers.

I know the CAT can be replaced and a new O2 sensor replaced but I don't know if it's compatible with the computer; Megasquirt? I think that was about all the smog on an FI motor if I recall.

I happen to have a good CAT resting on the floor iin my garage. Need to consult with "Those Who Know".

Yes, I am trustworthy. Go over to Mirafiori and ask if anyone there has ever purchased a car from me. :grin: I also have a background in vehicle sales and associated paperwork. I sold, did finance, and DMV for a couple RV dealers here in Sacto, so I know my stuff. A very good friend of mine is an independant agent for the Calif DMV, and a big help over the years.

SMOG....The horror....the horror.........

Smog

Mudge, thanks again. Whata guy. We'll talk about the garage situation...

Aren't there any exemptions in CA for classic cars' smog testing?

Don't get excited guys

I was hauled into Santa Monica jail, in 1964 or so, for an unpaid ticket (stop sign or lane change. I had spent some 6 hours in the cell' waiting for a bail out. My good friend, my best, held up all these hours cause he thought it was a good experience for me... We were sort of reckless in that sense in the 60's.
Even in later days, ask Papa Tony, ear to ear in a privet meet...

But of course, I was sort of teasing you guys...

Up till about 5 years ago.

There was a rolling grand fathering of cars 25years or older. Then some Jr ASSembly person in So Cal got involved and screwed the pouch for us. Now the law says anythin '75 and back is exempt. '76 and up will need a bi-annual smog check till it dies. Arnold signed off on it without reading it. The budget had been resolved and he had 1100 bills on his desk to sign before midnight that day. He probably didn't understand it the way it was written. I hope he's a victim in his next film. ;)

///Mike answer...

...at the time of picture, was running konis and semi-streetable springs.
Worked OK with the hard Yoko slicks I was running at that time.
Changed to Hoosier slicks, which dictated spring upgrade to unstreetable coilovers...450r/600f.

Educated SWAG...

...is all I can come up with for spring rates.
Based on wire diameter, coil count, & calibrated butt dyno.
They were aftermarket springs for other applications & cut to fit.
Approx 200/250 lb rear & 350/400 lb front.

Tho' total differential front-to-rear approx same as coilovers,
the percentage differential rear-to-front was greater.
Hence, rears were abit too soft, relative to fronts.
Traction off corners was good,
but when tire grip was upgraded,
the car started pulling wheel stands off the corners.
Like a Sprint car...

OR06-7.jpg

Back