Hey you got a Subie motor in that Porsche?

Say what? What's the reasoning behind that? Better gas mileage = people willing to drive farther/more often because it's cheaper resulting in a higher risk of having an accident?

I think the spiked lug nuts on tractor trailers are an effort to dissuade cars from cutting them off.

Personally I'm looking forward to self driving cars. When everyone else on the road is in a self driving car, you'll be able to just bully your way through traffic. They'll be programmed to always avoid accidents.

Is someone driving below the speed limit in front of you? - just start tailgate them and the self driving car will speed up to avoid being rear ended.

Is someone blocking you from making a turn or taking an exit? - just start to move over and the self driving car will avoid you.

Plus you'll no longer have idoits merging into you, cutting you off, etc.

I have no/little interest in owning a self driving car, but I can't wait for everyone else to have them. I also don't think driving a "manual" car will be outlawed in my lifetime so I'm not too concerned about that. Freaking steam cars from the turn of the 20th century can still be registered and driven on public roads/highways - manual cars will be legal for a long time.

I do suspect however most people will just not bother getting drivers licenses since they'll have no need now that they only own self driving cars.
I think self driving cars would be just fine for those hours long interstate excursions. Interesting thoughts about dealing with self driving cars.
But my guess is that it won't be long before you won't have an opportunity to engage in the kind of "bullying" tactics you outlined above. I think you might be quickly IDed (by the cars - not the passengers - that were bullied), and automatically reported to the "authorities". Then you'll be stopped (car shut off), taken into custody, sent to a re-education camp (no need to have a trial, after all the self driving car can't lie), and your dangerous and gross polluting car will be crushed and turned into IPhones . Of course, all for the betterment of society.

Yes, the reasoning is that more people will drive further and thus statistically there will be more fatalities.

You won't like driving in a heard of self driving cars as they will all be doing the speed limit so no more driving 75 in a 55 highway. Hadn't thought about the auto-reporting of aggressive driving but it makes sense. I want to go to the driver re-education facility at Road Atlanta.

Back