Hi everyone.

Welcome Dimitry,

Glad to have another X head around. I hope you find the club (dare I call it that) and the car as enjoyable as do.

Cheers,

Andrew

pics finally

P1000125.jpg

Sitting on 215/50/R13 Sumitomo HTR 200. rub in the front though. need spacers and a few adjustments.
P1000128.jpg

previous owner's headlight mod. want to remake the plexi and seal the enclosure from all sides.
P1000131.jpg

replaced the old sidecut tailpipe with this turned out 1 a few weeks ago. u can see how charred the corner is from before. adding a dual round slantcut tip this week and hoping it wont end up sticking out too much.
P1000163.jpg

original muffler i found laying around =)
P1000137.jpg

P1000139.jpg

P1000153.jpg

P1000160.jpg

previous owner took out the heater...
P1000158.jpg

huge draft
P1000155.jpg

spectre hoodlock, works very well
P1000149.jpg

P1000146.jpg

a leak i have that i dont really know what to do about. passenger side has same problem. had to caulk the area as a temporary fix because of the rare rain in cali this season. still leaks just inside the closed door/window and drips on my seat. and thats just self adhesive weatherstipping foam thats on the side of the T top. seems like something i dont have should be in this spot.

You are missing the "drip strip"

seems like something i dont have should be in this spot.

There is supposed to be a rubber "drip strip" attached to the edge of the targa top on both side of the top. Here are a couple of maybe not so good pics I took of the strip on my former 79.

IM001558.jpg

IM001553.jpg

Hopefully you can see the slim rubber strip and see how it runs all the way to the a pillar where the targa and pillar meet. This is the drip stopper you seek.

Ya jim you're right, i do need those and im not sure where to find replacements.

However, the leak was present even before i took off the old strips from the top. water actually seems to go under the side of the top where it meets the windshield then just goes between the 2 pieces of weatherstipping and drips down inside.
Leak.jpg

ill take better pics without the top later, after i can finally take it off when the rains stop. since i had to caulk the seam, i dont want undo everything before it stops raining. it leaks alot less this way but, a leak is a leak and id like to get rid of it altogether.

Seems the 74 had a few differences in the targa

Go check out Matt Brannon's "Midwest-Bayless" web site and search for "targa". Reading some of the descriptions, it appears the 74-75 years had some different pieces. I even see 74 specific drip channels.

Maybe you can swap all the parts from a 76-78 or even a late model and fix your leaks?

General question: Anyone know what the deal is with the targa differences?

Well Dmitriy...

Ya gotta admit this car is pretty ROUGH...

But it runs and works... and is apparently MOSTLY there...

You'll probably want to decide if you wish to continue the "theme" or do something else. As is, this could be considered as the current trend goes today... as a "RAT-ROD". Some folks love it!

The PO obviously modded just about everything...

Anyway... hopefully a few of us can meet up on the 20th and you can see what other options are available to ya...

Welcome again, thanks for sharing...

ya ur totally right tony =)
i dont mind certain mods and some are actually quite nice. heater being out doesnt bug me, i still dont usually get cold. however the defroster would be very nice to have and thats definitely gotten a little annoying recently.

i was checking out andrew's restoration yesterday and i really want to take on a similar project. unfortunately, not to such high standards, mainly because i dont have the money (i dont expect to anytime soon). plus its my daily so, i cant exactly strip it and leave it sitting for 2 years.

as for the 20th...i am scheduled to work the entire weekend as of right now. i'm definitely gonna try to work something out to be able to go though. i really want to meet everyone and a drive like that would be alot of fun. i havent been on a "drive" in over a year =(

Welcome to the forum...

Daily driver restorations or "rolling resto" as I think they are sometimes called can be challenging but still very do-able. I was forced to switch gears and turn my weekend project X into a daily driver when my Honda was recently wrecked.

You have a great year car that is for sure! 74's are very sought after Xs.

Regards,
Tim

Back