Hi... Mr. Frugal here...

Black-Tooth

Tony Natoli
I had the occasion to visit my local Kragen Parts Store (I believe they are also owned by O'Reilly, CSK too) yesterday and was pleasantly surprized with both their parts availability and their service. The entire store was staffed with women also!

I was joking around a bit as I pulled out my credit card and asked for any discounts they might have... flashing my AAA card, AARP, Costco, etc, etc and just having fun. They then said they really only offer "military" discounts and when I said I was an old sailor... they said "good enough"! It amounted to about 11% off the entire bill.

So... youse guys that are in the service been in the service... can take advantage of their offerings. I thought I'd pass it along...

Also... got my Griot's Catalog today, chock full of stuff I can't afford or would never think of using... when I came across this item. It'a POWER BLEEDER (35714 - $39.99) wherein you connect an air line to a tank and handle... and the air pressure causes a venturi action that SUCKS the fluid into a big bottle. Looks like it would work really well... and the price is not bad. I dunno if Harbor Freight carries a like device for less... but this thing sure looks like it would solve the problems most encounter trying to bleed our brake and clutch systems.

UPDATE... looky here: http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=bleeder Looks like the 92924 part number for $29.99 at H-F is exactly the same device Griot's has...

Harbor Freight... I get lots of catalogs... and prices are all over the place... but they still beat most with their air horns (of EQUAL quality) their VOM's, and especially their Battery LOAD TESTERS!

For the hobbiest... ya really can't go wrong with MOST of their stuff... yeah, use once, throw it away, I've heard that. But my 11 dollar spring compressor has changed out at least 10 sets of struts over the years, and my 19 dollar torque wrench has been a great asset as well. Not to mention my $149 - 21 gallon compressor that has primed and painted and operated all my cheap pneumatic wrenches too. Many of these tools I would never been able to afford, otherwise.

Hope this helps... I'll be back!

Spoken like a true...............!!!

.......I was joking around a bit as I pulled out my credit card and asked for any discounts they might have... flashing my AAA card, AARP, Costco, etc, etc ......

.........RETIREEEEEEEE, Tony!!!
Hey mate, nuthin' wrong with being upfront about discounts when you go shopping, when you are ol' farts like you annd me!!
Us Kiwi oldies now have our SuperGoldCard that gets us FREE public Transport on our buses and trains, and also discounts to the movies, etc.

Still waitin' to get discounts on fuel costs for our automobiles tho!!!
Boy, when that happens, I'll be able to call myself MR FRUGAL MK2!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Mr. Cheap as Hell ... bleeder comment.

That bleeder does look interesting, and I'm not being a nay-sayer without some real related experience. I had the little Harbor Freight vacuum tester, and was trying to use that to apply a suction on the bleeder nipple. Trouble was you ended up sucking air in around the bottom of the bleeder screw. And, no, you can't use plumber's tape - brake fluid dissolves the tape. Would the special bleeder screws behave properly with a vacuum placed on it?

(By the way, even with leakage the vacuum device can help to get stuff flowing, followed by pedal pumping or ? to finish the job.)

Jeff

Motive Products

I too have been frustrated with suction bleaders drawing air in from around the nipple. I while back I bought one of these. The hose connects to the brake fluid reservoir (the cap fits the original Fiat cap) and you fill brake fluid in the container. Use the handle to pump up a bit of pressure in the container. Then just open the bleeder nipple (with a bit of hose attached to catch the fluid) and the pressure will push fluid through the system. I just replaced the brake fuid in my X using one of these, and it was a breeze.

Jeff, Bear, others...

I've frankly never used ANY of these devices... but have heard so much about them over the years... so I thought I'd post them.

I grew up in the 50's pumpin' pedals for my Dad... and have enlisted my own kids, grandkids and all the kids on the block whenever I've needed to purge a system...

Ha... I know ya got at least 5 more...

... years experience on me for being an old fart... but I'm trying to catch up!

HA!

Hey... I really do consider myself blessed... and its kinda an honor to be recognized too. I never did subscribe to the idea that just 'cause someone is old, they deserve more respect or something special or a break... But damn... the "considerations" do add up, even a little at a time.

I I while back I bought one of these. The hose connects to the brake fluid reservoir (the cap fits the original Fiat cap) and you fill brake fluid in the container.

I am assuming you got the model that fits the European cars? I just wanted to make sure :)

Should have read the details I guess :) - European Bleeder 0100
"Works on most European cars, including Alfa Romeo, Audi, BMW, Fiat, Mercedes, Peugeot, Porsche, Renault, SAAB, Volkswagen, Volvo, and all other cars with 45mm threaded hydraulic fluid reservoir caps (This kit includes adapter 1100). All bleeders come with a full 1 year warranty."

Last edited:
That bleeder does look interesting, and I'm not being a nay-sayer without some real related experience. I had the little Harbor Freight vacuum tester, and was trying to use that to apply a suction on the bleeder nipple. Trouble was you ended up sucking air in around the bottom of the bleeder screw. And, no, you can't use plumber's tape - brake fluid dissolves the tape. Would the special bleeder screws behave properly with a vacuum placed on it?

(By the way, even with leakage the vacuum device can help to get stuff flowing, followed by pedal pumping or ? to finish the job.)

Jeff

I use a professional suction bleeder, a Vaccula. I always pull the bleeder nipple to confirm it's not full o stuff, then screw it back in with a dab of silicone grease on the threads before I start the Vaccula.
And I usually pump the pedal to "help" things along unless the old fluid is really gross.

Did you know that they are multi-purpose

That same bleeder, at $31.00 is a $450.00 tool for vacuum extraction of human babies. Go figure. The doctor used it 13 years ago for my second child. I recognized the unit and was flabergasted.
mityvac bleeder:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7000-Automotive-Tune-Up-Bleeding/dp/B000BPFB3A"]Amazon.com: Mityvac 7000 Automotive Tune-Up and Brake Bleeding Kit: Automotive[/ame]
Baby vacuum:
http://www.coopersurgical.com/ourpr...ivdevice/mityvac/Pages/csland.aspx?LC=Mityvac

Bob

Silly me...

I thought the Ferraris and mansions of the doctors, hospital administrators, and insurance execs explained it! :hmm:

What a rip-off. Similar to the $7.50 tylenol my wife was given after the birth of our 3rd child... or the 2 $500-each doses of Emeticon that we were billed for, but she was not administered.

Yeah, sore spot for me... guess I just just get over it. :(

Pete

Back