High Idle

emrliquidlife

True Classic
So, a new little bug has raised its tentacle.

My car has a high idle of 3k according to the tack. I had previously adjusted the idle to my liking on the idle adjustment atop the manifold. It is still tight, so I don't get why it is roaring so high. All springs and linkages appear to be in working order: From the accelarator cable mount on the forward part of the engine through the linkages mounted on the manifold.

Is there something I need to adjust elsewhere? As it stands, it seems that at the manifold, I have some small amount of slack on the accelaroter cable while at rest. But it literally takes me pushing back on the linkage to get a decent idle.

Ed

Clean up all the pivots?

Hi Ed,

Have you tried cleaning/lubing all the pivot points on the linkage? Could just be gummy and preventing a free return of the shaft that transfers the pull of the cable over to the throttle. Also, check to see if your return springs are still intact on the shaft.

Divide and Conquer, Ed...

Remove the cable and see if the problem is in the CABLE or in the LINKAGE.

Lube both anyway... but find the CAUSE first!

Ed, mine had the same kind of idle issues, it ended up being the cold start air valve being stuck open. Maybe yours may have just recently began to stick? By plug the hose going into the manifold and see if you can get your idle back down.

Back