High pressure oil spring wanted...

petex19

True Classic
Back in the day PBS offered a high pressure oil spring when I purchased my BVhead. Unfortunately I never installed it and have lost it over the years and would like to find another one.

Anyone know of a link to finding another spring?

'PeteX1/9

Search the archives

Search over at Xweb 1.0 using "high pressure oil spring" and you will get lots of results. This post from SteveH seems like a great idea:

Mark is correct. The PBS spring is best used for more highly tuned competition engines and is really un-necessary for most street cars.

The spring is intended to boost pressure for race engines that use wider bearing tollerances and operate at high rpms. The stock spring will regulate to about 50 to 60 psi. Using the general rule of thumb of 10 psi of pressure for every 1000 rpm, a street motor will work fine with a stock spring. A racing engine that turns 8000+ rpm will need more pressure.

I was not happy with the PBS spring in my DSP autocrosser or my hot street motors so I switched to adding a few extra washers under the spring to shim the spring up slightly. This raised the max pressure to about 70 psi, exactly where I wanted it. Works great and can be easily adjusted as necessary by adding or removing shims as needed.

Steve
1x4

Back in the day PBS offered a high pressure oil spring when I purchased my BVhead. Unfortunately I never installed it and have lost it over the years and would like to find another one.

Anyone know of a link to finding another spring?

'PeteX1/9

Memory is this is what they use http://www.fiatplus.com/inner-valve-spring-pr-281676.html
It will raise the point where your oil pressure maximizes at, not give you higher oil pressure at low speeds.

Chris Obert

Back