hmm that doesnt look quite right..

wannabfast

Thai with a 78 in MN
so everything about this car screamed 74.. but something isnt quite right..
74-Fiat-X1-9-DV_09_CI-002.jpg
:nana:

Nice looking X

A really nice looking X.

The engine cover, right hand thru-the-glass mirror and dash all come from later years.

Also, antenna was mounted

on the front.
Gotta say, nice looking car. Great job with the bumpers and trim.

Late model seats, too

You can just see the head rests thru the rear window. But yes, a stunning X. Where did you find the '74 rear trim? Very rare.
Dave

Hey, I had one of those!

That's just like my yellow '74. A yellow '74 chassis with a 1500 driveline, engine cover and interior and 5 spoke wheels. :italia:

74xypvl04.jpg

Isn't that one of Shaun Folkerts cars???

I think he mentioned getting one of your old cars Steve....

Yep.

As I remember, Shaun now owns the car. It probably went through three or four different people before Shaun got it.

That was a sweet car.

Seeing how hard it is to find early extra parts...

In Good condition I find it acceptable to use the later stuff :) Tastefully done IMO. Only thing I would NOT have done was the late model engine cover however maybe there is a fitment issues with the engine or carbs or something and those early side covers are sometimes hard to find as well.

Its a beauty!
-Tim

That's Lalo's car!

Strange that noone here recognizes it.
Maybe I am getting old.

Lalo Ruiz built this car.
The interesting bit is that it is indeed a 1974 with all the FI bits from another car swapped over, not a backdate as usual.
The FI engine was modded some, suspension was just cut springs IIRC.

His website used to be here:
http://home.netcom.com/~la_migra/

I wondered if it was Lalo's car

That was my first thought, but wasn't sure.

He had a great site with all the info on fitting the later dash to the '74.

74 cover fits ALL cars

I have a 1974 cover on my 1983 X19. It fits with the late hinges but will hit the FI meter with the 1974 hinges. The interference is about 3/8 of an inch of height at the Flow meter. I will post pictures after I clearance this to fit with the lower hinges.
Bob T.

Good ol' Lalo...

I remember talking to him in San Jose at a Fiat gathering. I was in the process of putting my 74 back together and he had just finished this conversion.

He actually got very angry at me for not wanting to do the same thing. I remember it as a very strange conversation.

Regardless, he did a very nice job.

Eric

Back