Honda S2000 seat install

Clark

True Classic
The seats in our 1976 X were a little beaten up so we had to choose between upgrading or refinishing. Ultimately we choose to look for Honda S2000 seats. Depending on the quality these seats can fetch a pretty penny so we tried to be as budget concious as possible and picked up a used pair for $550 CDN with fairly low wear.

Compared to the stock seats the Honda seats run a little taller and sit you a little higher in the saddle.

Seats_zpstfm9tihe.jpg

From the underside the S2000's look somewhat smaller and are definitely more sturdier. I would think they run about 4 pounds heavier a piece as well. The rails in this picture of the S2000's are not level with each other but the mechanism allows for them to be moved around whereever you like. I was just playing around with them and hadn't put them back to the way they should be.
Bottoms_zpslabpaqrf.jpg

At first I thought I would need to remove the original seats rails from the car floor. But as luck would have it the Honda seats sit just outside the rails so no modifications were necessary. Score!
RightFooter_zpspleo4qyi.jpg
LeftFooter_zpskko0i8sv.jpg

Mounting the seats were fairly straight forward. There may have been other ways to fasten them down but we took the simple approach and just used 3/8 bolts up from the underside of the car. I used very large washers with 1 1/2 long bolts and nuts up top to crank them down. This made the seats sit half an inch higher then they would have otherwise but this way they cleared the stock rails and the new puffy carpet that we were installing at the same time.
NewCarpet_zpskjzmjndt.jpg

SeatBolts_zpssesatdl8.jpg

In the car the S2000 seats really change the appearance of the X and give it a much more modern look and feel. From the back...
BackSeats_zpsofetvffp.jpg

And the front...
FrontSeats_zpsz4coh9il.jpg

And from the side...
SideSeats_zpsx8fquueb.jpg

The seats are much more firm than the stock seats. They move forwards and backwards as you would expect and tilt to allow a more lying backward position than the originals. Something I appreciate very much. They do sit you higher in the saddle though so if you are on the tall side these seats are probably not for you. I am about 5'10 and they just barely keep my head under the roof. I may end up welding new brackets onto the bottom of the seats to lower them a bit in the future but for the time being they are low enough to get the job done. Also still on the list is a new set of seat belts. I would feel safer with a shoulder strap so maybe over the course of the next few months we will find something there. Overall the addition of the Honda S2000 seats has been a very worthwhile investment. Can't wait to get the car on the road already and try them out.

The adventure continues........

Driveway_zpszzeni7tn.jpg

Last edited:
Expensive...

Yeah ... they can be on the pricey side Hussein. We waited and looked around and got ours for a really decent price at $550 CDN. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger at $700 US either.

S-2000 seats

I had the same seats mounted in my 75X, they looked great and were very comfortable; I did feel I was seating a little too tall. There are way of lowering the seat pan if you have that problem.
Respectfully,
RBK

Broke down and bought a set of these. The Miata seats just don't have enough thigh support - it has been annoying to drive as a result.

Congratulations

Broke down and bought a set of these. The Miata seats just don't have enough thigh support - it has been annoying to drive as a result.

Thats great Hussein. The support is so much better than stock. Can't wait to see some pics :)

Your photos failed to upload... again... nt

Again?? Again?? What are you sayin', Tony 😁

I didn't add any pics yet.... 🤪

EDIT: Seats I ordered:

X19_0081i.png

Most seem to have some left oter bolster wear. These were in the expensive (to me) but lower end of the pricing spectrum. Shipping is included, which must be about 1/2 the price...

Last edited:
Those seats look like a good match. Way to think outside of the box.

By the way, I had my seat bottoms reupholstered for $500. It would have been $1000 to do the whole job.

Seats arrived

X19_0081b.jpg

X19_0081a.jpg

Brackets are a bit of a pita - had to make a 1/4" steel bar dogleg for the front outer- having it sit in the box section. Seat tracks are 19" wide - which is a problem for pas side with AC :(

X19_0081c.jpg

Last edited:
Finished making the two sets of mount brackets with captive nuts last night

X19_0081f.jpg

Outboard front bracket - cut a slot in sheet metal to allow plate to sit underneath

X19_0081d.jpg

Inner forward plate can be positioned from underneath via access opening covered with a rubber plug

X19_0081e.jpg

Last edited:
Heavy rain today, however with my canopy I stayed mostly damp... got the pass seat in place

X19_0081h.jpg

X19_0081j.jpg

X19_0081g.jpg

X19_0081.jpg

Have to figure out what to do with the Honda logo - right now it serves as my initials.

Last edited:
I drove it around Wed night to check the feel -I really like it. The seat wasn't properly level then - about 1/2 off on the inside, so I fixed that last night. Support feels great, and I much prefer leather seating.

PXL_20201127_210919397.jpg

Last edited:
Seats look good!

Funny - I had a set of 2k seats I was planning the same mod before I sold the car, but couldn't wrap my head around a good plan. I sold the seats and made a little extra $ so I am good...

Nicely done Hussein.

Back