Honor our Veterans

Constructive Criticism...

...Or a Pet Peeve.

This is not a personal attack or a slight on what you wrote. Just one person's opinion.

It's just one of those things that I think people in general just don't adequately understand about the two holidays that commemorate military service, Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

Memorial Day is for those who were killed.

Veterans Day is for those who survived.

So for Memorial Day, IMHO we'd address the sorrow of loss, the tragedy of waste, and we'd count our dead as we remember and honor them for their sacrifice.

OTOH, Veterans Day essays IMHO should be about the positives. We'd celebrate the combat vets who were lucky enough to survive battles big and little, known and unknown. And not forget the service of noncombat vets who survived dangerous training scenarios as well as the hazards of 72-hour passes and liberties.:drink: And the camaraderie of brothers-in-arms.

Dan,

I fully agree and understand very well the distinction between the days which as you state is very, very significant.

I just updated the article last night to bring death tolls up to date in our current primary military situations.

While doing this I added a brief history of how Veterans Day came into existance. In the future I plan on creating new pages that are devoted totally to these important topics.

Thank you much for your input and most likely service....Phil

It would be well to recall...

that the date is not arbitrary but that marking the end of WWI and should,along with all the other stated reasons, be a source of reflection on the pointlessness of most armed conflict and the enormous cost that those conflicts extract from the whole world.
The holiday has morphed, quite properly perhaps, to a more general remembrance but the original intent should be given some due as well. Let's recall for example that war and it's direct consequences accounted for nearly 100M deaths worldwide during the 20th century. That number is comparable to the combined population of our 5 largest states.

Back