Hot 1300 Build Gearing Question

RZSR, I couldn't say what hp to expect, comp ratio will have a BIG say, and that could be a problem with 91 octane. You have lots of good components there to build a strong engine, it could all come to the detail of the head work, if you have a good builder with Fiat SOHC experience. The BP300 cam is mainly about good driveability, power and torque to get out of corners quickly, not just top end power. Like the old saying, power wins sales, torque wins races.
Engine power with the same tune is pretty much proportional to cc.

RZSR, where is the head from?
It has big valves, even on the exhaust side. Very nice.
What was done to the ports and combustion chamber? Who did the work?

Ulix,

I purchased the head along with the Euro cam and Mondial pistons from Jaan Hjorth an Italian engine builder among other things in Berkeley CA. He said he had held onto the head for decades and that it was built by a famous engine builder from back in the day. His best recollection was that the guys name was Newman? Not clear on what else has been done to the head but should know next week after TEM does the review and will post.

BVH Isky.jpg

I think he was amazed that someone was actually doing a full high performance restoration on an X and figured he better let the parts go to a good home now before it's to late!

I have literally only seen two X's on the road in the last two years in the Bay Area and his was one. That's one of the half dozen reasons I decided on building the X, because you never see them on the road anymore.

Greg,

The BP300 sure sounds like a great cam choice especially since you mentioned that it has good torque. That's something I have been a bit concerned about in the small cc 1300. The BP300 is definitely more expensive but maybe worth the price.

Ulix,

I purchased the head along with the Euro cam and Mondial pistons from Jaan Hjorth an Italian engine builder among other things in Berkeley CA. He said he had held onto the head for decades and that it was built by a famous engine builder from back in the day. His best recollection was that the guys name was Newman? Not clear on what else has been done to the head but should know next week after TEM does the review and will post.

View attachment 14601

I think he was amazed that someone was actually doing a full high performance restoration on an X and figured he better let the parts go to a good home now before it's to late!

I have literally only seen two X's on the road in the last two years in the Bay Area and his was one. That's one of the half dozen reasons I decided on building the X, because you never see them on the road anymore.

Greg,

The BP300 sure sounds like a great cam choice especially since you mentioned that it has good torque. That's something I have been a bit concerned about in the small cc 1300. The BP300 is definitely more expensive but maybe worth the price.
Neville Newman - I bougth a head castiing and a tilton flywheel from him way back.

Thanks Brad, having his name now gives the head some serious provanace! ;) Can't believe the dots got connected on this, it's a small small X world after all.

Do you know where he was located back then?

Thanks Brad, having his name now gives the head some serious provanace! ;) Can't believe the dots got connected on this, it's a small small X world after all.

Do you know where he was located back then?
He was in CA - I don't remember the city. I believe it was ~1990.

Makes sense since Jaan is here in the Bay Area and that was 2-3 decades ago.

Other than having to replace all the plastic and mechanicals I find it really hard to believe that the X is a 45 yr old design!

Another oddity - I collect 1/43 scale model cars, thousands of $ worth and the X1/9 just doesn't look great in that scale yet a nicely restored one on the road looks awesome, quite strange for sure as I can't explain it and I have an Industrial Design degree.

Engine tear down and estimate - None!

One month and not a word from the shop, I guess it is still race season and my street engine doesn't rate.

Not that I'm in a hurry but an update on any progress would be nice.

This economy is so gonna overheat. 2008 is going to look like a blip on the radar when it crashes this time.

Back