How do I reach into the Intake Manifold to port?...Pixs

etownsley

Streel Legal GP Race Car
My intake ports are tiny! How do I reach into the arched runners to open them up?
fiat046.jpg

What tools work best?
fiat047.jpg

I was planning on purchasing a 1-1/8" diameter ball to drop through each runner to check the uniformity of each runner. How have you checked to make sure each runner diameter is the same?
fiat048.jpg

I did a simple port match about a year ago and it helped the engine pull higher into the RPM range. Are their other simple mods to the intake manifold that produce results?

Thanks!

Cut in in half

Hi Eric,

The only way to really port an intake manifold correctly for the entire length of the runners is to cut in in half, (so you have a left-side and a right side), then work the runners on each piece, then weld it back up.

I have a couple on the shelf that have already been done if that kind of work doesn't appeal to you!

-M

I was afaid you were going to say that!

What happens to the coolant ports when you weld it back together? Do you have to weld it in stages? Is there a web link anywhere that explains how to do this?

What about acid porting? Has anybody ever done this?

Extrude Hone

Dan, aren't they right near us, in Warminster, PA? Have you ever stopped by to see their process?

Dave

Saw Cut.

You just saw cut the manifold into a left and right hand side.

Most don't use the water jacket on the manifold as in fact is it a cooling jacket not a heating jacket. The cooler the charge the more HP you can obtain with the engine.

The holes in the head are either welded or threaded and pluged.

TonyK

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Last edited:
They are only a 15-20 minute ride from my particular locale. I posted about this process a week or two ago, and some of the racer guys said this process has been around a long time. Mostly intended to polish surfaces rather than remove large amounts of material.

Cooling jacket or heating jacket?

On the manifold it's a heating jacket, the air/fuel charge is very cold from the venturi effect, and heating aids atomization and reduces emissions.

Just sayin'.:innocent:

I don't have the time or the money.

If I can't do it myself...I can't do it. If I had the money I probably wouldn't own a Fiat either.:)

Back