How do I remove the steering hub??

patrickza

Low Mileage
My steering wheel is about 30 degrees off when I'm driving straight, so I'm trying to remove the hub so I can straighten it out. I took the horn button off, then undid the bolt but the hub doesn't budge. I've pulled on the wheel, hit it with my fists, but still nothing. Is there another bolt or retainer screw I'm missing somewhere?

Autozone "loans" a steering wheel puller

You have to pay for the tool, but get a full refund when you return it. Works great.

Just the nut holds it on....

Unscrew the nut but don't take it all the way off. This will save your face from damage.....Then give the wheel a pull....Some come off easy and others are a B___H! Just leave the nut on to stop the wheel from hurting you...

That amount of tilt seems rather odd.

Do you mean that the plane of the wheel is tilted 30 degrees from a plane at right angles to the rotation axis? That sounds like it is bent. If it is like mine it will not come off. I've done all the tricks. Maybe someone had the same trouble with yours and got physical.

Something else,,

A few times I removed mine by also pushing up with my legs/knees and at the same time hitting the shaft with a brass punch a good wack, as above, leave the nut on loose. It worked for me. :woot:

Before you remove the steering wheel, first check under the car and look at the steering linkage.

Could be a previous owner or bad mechanic unevenly adjusted the linkage.

You will need a 3 position (120 degrees apart) bolt type steering wheel puller and three, 1/4" dia or M6 bolts about 2.5" or 60mm long along with matching nuts.

Since the nut and horn button has been removed, there are three square holes that are used to retain the horn facia.. install puller using the bolts in these square holes.. Remove the lower steering column cover for better access.

Once the puller an bolts are in place, apply pressure using the center puller screw and the steering wheel and puller will come off.

The steering wheel is pressed on to the steering column shaft spline which has a slight taper, this is why the steering wheel does not pull off easy.

Oh, your steering wheel version might vary.. but the basic idea remains the same.

Bernice

My steering wheel is about 30 degrees off when I'm driving straight, so I'm trying to remove the hub so I can straighten it out. I took the horn button off, then undid the bolt but the hub doesn't budge. I've pulled on the wheel, hit it with my fists, but still nothing. Is there another bolt or retainer screw I'm missing somewhere?

Before pulling the steering wheel to "center" it, you really should have a proper alignment done where the steering rack itself is centered.

Moving the steering wheel on the shaft is not the way to fix this issue.

This may be an issue with a tie rod end or a series of incorrect alignments where the the adjustment has been run out the one side.

The wheel being rotated is a symptom of the problem, not the actual problem. I have been on a number of forums where folks are unable to understand that there is a center position of the rack or the steering box and that moving the wheel to a new relative position is not the way to fix the problem with the car.

Listen to KARL MEAD and do that first!

Then... you can use a puller, or...

Loosen the nut and then place it back on to protect the threads.

Have a friend sit in the seat and pull on the wheel with both hands 180 degrees apart... and with a brass hammer or heavy mallet... bang on the top of the NUT a couple of imes... Should pop right off!

Always has for me!

Back