How do you replace the hood cable?

Hood cable

Hi denise,

Nothing needs to come off to replace the cable. It is a solid steel cable
that threads through the original sheath, then through an eye on the hood latch, and it's then held in place with a set-screw.

It helps if you have another person helping you, especially when guiding the wire into the latch eyelet.

Threading through the sheath can be a pain, it will like to hang up in spots but can be done with some patience.

Solid spring-steel wire can be used as a replacement, if its the same basic diameter.

-M

remove the sheath

I found it easier to insert the cable by removing the sheath and inserting the wire / cable into a straightened sheath.

JimV

It helps to remove the plastic screen vents on wither side to keep from braking the old and fragile plastic. The rest can be down with everything in the car.

:)

I had to do this on the road a couple of years ago.

I took my front hood latch loose to help fit it, and was able to find a generic choke pull/push (solid wire) "cable" that worked. It has to be solid so that when you close the latch, you can "push" the lever to locked position.

At least that's how my Bertone works. I never drop my hood closed. Are early models different?

My 78 has the hood latch handle in the glove box.

I believe that is true for all early Xs. You need to push down on the center of the hood to get it to latch. I do not slam it.

You can see the handle in the upper left corner of the box in the second pic:

I like the more hidden location and the glove box can be locked. So it's a bit more protected, like the rear trunk, if you are leaving the roof off and walking away for a while.

Hmmmm, Jim, on my '78..........

..... You need to push down on the center of the hood to get it to latch. .....
......you need to drop the lid onto the latch, and then PUSH THE INTERNAL LOCKING LEVER FORWARD to secure the hood firmly!
Is this not the same as on your car??
Could be different on US spec X's maybe??

cheers, Ian - NZ

Same as US

I Guess I could "drop the lid onto the latch", but I prefer to gently lower the lid onto the latch, then push down on the center of the hood to engage the latch, and finally push the lever in in the cabin forward to actually latch the hood. Mine is an '85, lever at the driver's side kick panel.

Hmmm

well Ian... I would have to try your method to find out for sure.

All I know is on my 78, I lower the hood and press firmly over the latch and it clicks. It sounds like it has a spring catch in there somewhere.

I have never tried pushing the internal lever forward. I do know the next time I go to open it I need to firmly pull the handle to get the hood to pop open again.So I think I am doing it correctly. Perhaps my 78 has a non-original latch installed?!?

Back