How much for rebuild how much life left on 138K?

Baxter805

1984 X19
How much to rebuild an engine? I'm thinking of an 79 X19 with 138,000 miles - seems like everything else was rebuilt trans and carb. I wonder how many more miles can I can out of it before rebuild and how much will it cost?

Also 6" rust spot which is more than surface by rear wheel any idea how much to get this repaired?

Thanks

cost varies so much. . for example, does it just neet to be honed with new rings installed? or does it need to have new pistons and be bored out. just one of many issues to be delt with on the way. also depends on how thourough you want to be. in my opinion, if the 1300 needs work and needs to be removed, your better off dropping in a 1500. way more fun to drive. ive driven both and its like night and day. it shouldnt be to hard to source a 1500. why are you concerened about your motor to start with? is it smoking or something?

Moorpark, hey...

What makes ya think ya need to rebuild the mill?

I have 166K on my '79 and I'm not planning to rebuild it anytime soon. I have excellent compression and no smoke and it runs better every day!

HA!

Since we are almost neighbors by 50 miles... maybe ya might wanna bring it by and I can have a look at it for ya...

If it doesn't burn much oil and has half way decent compression you can probably run it for a long time. My 86' has a ton of miles on it. The odometer didn't work for the last owner so it probably has north of 160k on it. The motor has never been rebuilt and still has good compression and uses almost no oil. Fiat wasn't really that bad at building long life engines, maybe not as good as saab, but better than many other car makers. I'm not sure either of my Xs will ever beat my old Saab with 320k on it with no internal engine work, not even a timing chain, done to it.

Back