How my Ugly Brown X saved my life Saturday...

bb4re

86X 22,000 miles
...After closing up Midwest-Bayless Saturday afternoon, I headed towards Toledo to visit my family for the weekend on this sunny calm day of 85 degrees F.
I was driving down Ohio 229 which runs along the Northern edge of Delaware State Park...top off...listening to nature (I have no radio). I was driving the posted 55mph and heard a large cracking sound. I looked upwards, about forty to fifty feet up and saw a huge tree falling...yes falling...directly into my path. I nailed the brakes, locking them up and leaving some really cool rubber on the pavement...stopping less than two feet from where this tree had decided to land. I immediately backed up a few feet and hit the hazards. Got out of my car looking at what had just happened, in semi shock. A man in a For F-150 was traveling about a quarter mile behind me stopped to assess the situation and asked me what had happened. I pointed up and said "It just fell"! He started laughing and said, "Yeah...I saw that". It took the two of us several minutes to get this tree off of the road and over the guard rail. The whole episode was surreal. We looked at the tree and it appeared to be healthy, full of leaves and no apparent reason for it to come down. I was too shocked to even think about taking any pics of the site, but on my way back I went that way to do so. It was pouring rain then and even the braking tracks wouldn't show up in a photo. I did get out and walk them off, though. 28 feet long...nice and straight. Stock, very used brake pads.
If I would have been in ANY other car, with roof on, or even with the radio playing...I wouldn't have heard the tree cracking and more than likely would have been crushed. This tree was big enough to smash just about anything it would have hit.
Thank you Ugly Brown X...for saving my life!

not to burst your bubble, but if you laid a rubber track that long then you probably would have made it past the tree. which would have been totally badass to watch from the f150's point of view

glad you're ok though!

Ha!

I will leave that game to you...next time you are in a similar situation...I am glad I am okay, as well. :hmm2:

My V12 Jag XJS, or better yet...a K20 X would have been a punch it and go situation, but the 65 hp X...no guarantees. :dead:

So I guess

your undies matched the color of your car afterward? :)

Glad you are OK Thomas. You don't need anything else smacking you in the melon!!

Sorry if I came off as offensive, I was just thinking out loud.
I don't think I'd risk my x, either. I still daydream about driving under a semi, though :dance2::bla:
I love being a kid haha

I am going to go back after work...

...some day this week and get some good pics.

Wow, that's quite a story!

Very fortuitous set of circumstances. Truth is always stranger than fiction!

Glad to hear you & the X are OK. Your tires don't have serious flat spots from the braking, though?

May have some minor flat spots...

...my Sumitomos have less than 3000 miles and I have acquired a bit of a shimmy in my wheel over the weekend, which I hadn't noticed prior.

been there dont that.... kinda...

I have always wanted to do that as well. In my pursuit, I noticed that not all semis have the same clearance. When worked at a pizza joint in the 80's I noticed that the delivery truck had the clearance. I talked to the driver and he was game. ok, he wasnt game to do it while moving, but I did drive under it while it was parked!!

I also dated a girl whos dad was a farmer. when I told him of this, he kinda let me have my dream come true. he pulled out his sprayer tractor Example and while going down the road, I passed him under the tractor. it was a rush. I have plenty of room at least 2' per side with 2-3+ feet above.

Odie

Dude! Did you ever see those movies...

where people whose "time has come" manage to cheat the grim reaper, only to find he is in hot pursuit and they succumb to some other mode of :dead:...

I'm just sayin....:whistle:

Glad you're ok!

Pete

LOL

now bb4re will avoid all forests :) the way we already avoid snow and salt. we are ALL glad both you and the car are ok. Must have been scary.

I was wondering if this was "a sign"...

...perhaps the trip wasn't a good idea. I have driven the X nearly 600 miles in the last week. Isn't running fantastic, but running nonetheless. Not planning on doing any tinkering until the new head goes on. It actually ended up being a fun weekend.

You never know what may have happened if I weren't slowed by this event. Maybe I would've been involved in something more serious. Still believe things happen for a reason.

Back