How to properly remove Manifolds

Plan ahead...

... and use lots of penetrant on the nuts days in advance, reapply periodically. Other than that I think it's just undo the nuts and remove. If your car has the trunk access panel, it might be easier through there.

Simple Enough

Step 1. Drain the coolant. The intake manifold carries coolant, so to keep it from running into the intake ports and your motor, drain the cooling system.

Step 2. Remove the EGR pipe from the intake manifold

Step 3. On your 1300, disconnect the lines from the carb and remove the four 10mm nuts that retain the manifold to the head. You can now remove the intake manifold and carb.

Step 4. Remove the EGR line from the exhaust manifold. Cut it if necessary.

Step 5. Unbolt the down pipe from the end of the exhaust manifold and then remove the 3 remaining bolt that hold the exhaust manifold flange to the head. Now its free.

cool I'm going to get on that with some PB blaster, I'm sure Mike is anxious for his new exhaust, and I'm anxious for mine and new carb/intake :)

Actually Mike... Step #1 on a '78...

... or earlier, is to cut yourself an access panel.

Ideas in Best Of...

Believe me... the time and effort spent doing this is LESS than the time to do one manifold or alternator swap without it! All future work will be a snap from then on also!

I recommend using a panel "door" from a scrapped late model or at least use one as a pattern. Someone could trace and cut a paper pattern for you as an alternative also...

Wax job

Start the car & let it heat up. Shut it off and hold a candle to the base of the studs around the nuts. The wax will wick into the threads. It will amaze you how well this works.

You have to use an oily type wax - cheap tea candles work well. Paraffin canning wax doesn't do the trick.

Yes, I'm excited. The engine is out of the repair bay and sitting next to the car!

Not in the WiKi?

Tony, I looked in the Wiki for the access door. It's shown under the bodywork section, but it says there is no text there?

DUH - my '79 HAS an access panel -- man, I need to have coffee before I post here. :mallet:

Last edited:
Wax?

Hmmm, never heard of the wax method. But since most synthetic oils are paraffin based so it makes sense.

I have been using PB Blaster for years. We used it in my shop for removing exhaust systems. Works great.

the only candle I have access to is a 'sea-breeze' candle my wife just bought, so if you don't mind the smell of nauseating perfumed wax on the header I'll give it a go.

candles

Mike, I'm sure that sea breeze scent will be very pleasant for the next owner when the exhaust heats up in the future, but tea candles are just a couple cents each at walmart or AC Moore, or sold bulk by bag for only a few bucks... not very hard to get a hold of if you're interested in going this route. Your wife might appreciate you not ruining her candle, too.:innocent:

Back