How to remove old Saratoga Top sticker?

RZSR X

True Classic
Just now getting around to restoring my Saratoga Top which I previously made a run of new stickers for and gave out.

How do I remove the original crusty sticker without scratching (putty knife etc.) or hazing (chemicals like thinner) the plexiglas?

I tried a bondo type spreader along with Goo Gone to no avail. I'm perplexed, pun intended.

Also as an added bonus question can I use my Griots polishing wheel with their Correcting Cream and Finishing Wax to shine it up?

Have you tried Avon "Skin so Soft"? It frequently seems to help remove some adhesives and I have never seen it damage any surface. You might try a test area first...

Products containing animal or vegetable fats are often recommended for adhesive removal. Sometimes the recommendation combines them with a soft abrasive like baking or washing soda, but I'd try just the fat first.

If you know what plastic was used for the Saratoga Top (acrylic, polycarbonate, ????) then you could at least Google what NOT to use on that kind of plastic.

I have Mazola cooking oil so I will give the sticker a good soaking with a Q-tip and see if that softens it up first. Hopefully I won't need Skin so Soft since I'm a Nivea user!

I also found Novus Polish kit and Brillianize Plastic Cleaner for the plexi cleaning and care.

I actually installed the top for the first time today! I'm definitely going to like the see thru-ness and lighter weight than the targa top! That is later this year when I hope to see this pup on the road for the first time in years.

Saratoga Top Installed.jpg

Well the oil softened up the "outside" of the sticker enough to use a flat blade razor to remove it leaving scratches close to the trim piece. I then used the Goo Gone to soften and remove the residue.

I think the polish i ordered should remove the scratches most of the way and if not the sticker should help camo them.

A side note. I've seen only one of these tops in the wild. It was in Vegas in the late 80's, on a red X which the owner told me was modified (engine wise). They are very complimentary to the shape of the roof line. Rare as rock'n horse turds apparently. Very cool.

So I painted all the trim and latches etc, polished the whole top then bubble wrapped it up and put it away. Lying in bed that night I realized I didn't put the sticker on, Doh!

So here it is in place. I think it will likely need some days in the sun some day for the sticker to clear up but then this is a very close up view.

Saratoga Sticker_154717.jpg

From my giving out the extra stickers I had made to forum members I'd guess there are maybe a dozen left?

What I replaced!

Saratoga Top Image.jpg

Jim,

I have no need for more but feel free to have them made for you and others. I think there was a dozen minimum order i.e. all the extras. This is the actual artwork I used just make sure you order a clear background sticker (which in this case is the black background) with white writing! Maybe even make a note of the colors and size when ordering. The file is sized to the sticker 6"x1.4". And the company is https://www.carstickers.com/ Enjoy!

Saratoga Top Clear and White 6x1.4.jpg

If the image here doesn't work I can always email the file.

Have you found that the silver tape that runs around the edge is starting to peel ?. My saratoga has tried replacing the tape but is not water or wind resistant like the original.
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatfully received

Frosty I actually painted the silver tape trim black but since this top sat on top of an X in a garage for decades it's in amazing shape.

The trim piece is stuck pretty pretty good.

Have you tried a long Google search for something like automotive trim with adhesive or try to find a close trim piece (doesn't need the outer silver coating) then add trim tape?

Maybe someone else will have an idea for the trim.

Tried automotive trim that was available back some years ago so might have a look again at what is available tried IBM and Scotch tape if my memory is correct

Back