How to replace power window switch?

Baxter805

1984 X19
Any instructions posted anywhere on replacing a power window switch? The last owner said it might just be coroded and can maybe scrape the wires and put back. I'm a beginner at this and need basic instructions, sounds like it can't be to difficult.

Well....

I just replaced a power window switch yesterday ('87 X). I used a thin flat blade screwdriver and a Jewelers flat blade to pry it out. It came out quite easily actually (took about 2-3 attempts). Granted I did break off about 50% of one side of the clicky holder on the old one (no biggie, it was FUBAR anyway). The Haynes Manual tells you to do the same thing....use a flat blade to pry it out. My window switches are by the shifter BTW. Reading Gregs link though, it would have probably been easier by loosening the screw on the back of the shifter frame.

Sounds easy enough- but can't seem to pry out

Thanks for the detailed instructions, sounds easy enough, but I can't seem to pry out. I see one screw in front of the console, which I removed, Its really hard to get a finger under there to push up. I can fit a screwdriver underneath and can pry a little on one side, but I am afraid to much force and the switch will break. Any other suggestions. I have an 84. Is there another screw, which I'm not seeing?

There are screws on each side at the front of the console, top and bottom, if you loosen them it will be easier.

How to disassemble switch for cleaning

Great link with detailed instructions- but any instructions on the disasembly part. I pulled the switch out, but not sure how to disassemble now. I'm sure it's pretty basic, but I'm new to this, and trying to be more hands on.:)
Thanks

Hi Carolyn,
It is snapped together. The brown part is snapped into the black part. To get it apart, you have to gently pry apart the black outer part enough so the tabs of the brown center part can come out of the tiny rectangular holes. It will become apparent as you do it. Be careful, cautious, etc. as the plastic is old and brittle.
Hope this helps!

I have picked up the habit of using the appropriate thickness size of feeler gage blades for easing those plastic tabs out of their slots. Use the screwdriver for gentle prying then "chock" the first tab out of its slot with a gage blade then go on to the next one, and so forth.

Back