How to roll back odometer?

You can get the cluster out...

Without cutting the "tampertale" wire.
It's a wire that goes to a RED connector located right above your fuse panel.
Drop your fuse panel, crawl on yer back with a flashlight and reading glasses... You'll see a red connector with (I think) 6 connections on it.
It'll be the yellow/red stripe wire. Get a paperclip and remove the female spade terminal out of the connector. It'll clip back in when your through.

If you must cut, a new one can be re-soldered in it's place, but you gotta find the other end anyway so you might as well do it right.

From the factory, one of the screws runs a wire threw the screw holes in its head and sealed with a lead stamp.

Exactly. I was just thinking there might be a method that didn't require cutting it, in which case I'd likely go that way. But you make a good point, in that anyone who knows the cars will recognize that the cluster has been changed anyway since the Bertone faced gauges weren't used in '85s.

I'll consider the suggestion to contact your speedo guy but this should be well within my abilities-- I've been in the car biz nearly 30 years. I just like asking the collective wisdom here first so I don't have to learn the hard way. Would be nice to know accurate the speedo is though, although there is usually an officer around who's willing to tell me while he writes out the ticket...

Love your sig line, BTW.

Thanks guys!

///Mike

I had the same thing happen to me in the grocery store the other night. You could hear the screamer from anyplace in the store but mom just ignored it totally. The worst place is restaurants though.

Sigh. You're just bound and determined to get me to spend even more money on this cluster-blank. While I'm at it I may as well send it on to Bob and let him work his magic too. Shouldn't cost too much more than the engine I'm building...

Gotta admit you make a good case though.

///Mike

There is no reason to remove

the needle or the faceplate to adjust the odometer. It can be done from the back. Also, I set my needle to zero and used a gps to verify the speed. Just my way.

By the way; Bob, what IS that wire soldered onto the speedo for? Is it for the 30k Lambda counter?

What Chris said

By the way; Bob, what IS that wire soldered onto the speedo for? Is it for the 30k Lambda counter?

Is is for the 30k mile counter, but for all practical purposes it is a VSS / Vehicle Speed Sensor and you can tap into it for stereos with speed sensitive volume control or for in-dash GPS systems. It has two pulses for each revolution of the speedometer cable.

Back