Hub Camber Adjustment

racing_05

Glenn Smith
On my last trackday i was really giving the outside of the rear tyres a hard time so much that they started to de laminate the tyres on the outside edge.

i was taking to a friend (Fiatorque Grandville Sydney) and he told me to make the rear hubs adjustable and descibed how to wo it and here is the result on what they look like.

i haven't had the car onto the ground since done to see how much adjustment they give me. but hopefully in the next week or two i will be able to tell you how they go.

anyway here is how they look now

P1040136.jpg

P1040138.jpg

Hi Glen,

That's a pretty clever alternative to shim wedges. Nice.

I am very surprised that you are having problems on the outside edges of the tires though. Very surprised. Usually its the inside edges that get eaten up. On a bias-ply full race slick the outer
1/2 of my tires are barely used, and I am able to flip them after an event and use them again for a second event.

I run about 2 1/2 degrees negative camber, and very stiff springs.

We've found that the bias ply tires like a fair amount of negative camber to get good bite.

-M

Great idea.

Did you not have enough room on your camber plates for adjustment?

Just curious.

Eric Armstrong

tire wear

Hi Glen,

That's a pretty clever alternative to shim wedges. Nice.

I am very surprised that you are having problems on the outside edges of the tires though. Very surprised. Usually its the inside edges that get eaten up. On a bias-ply full race slick the outer
1/2 of my tires are barely used, and I am able to flip them after an event and use them again for a second event.

I run about 2 1/2 degrees negative camber, and very stiff springs.

We've found that the bias ply tires like a fair amount of negative camber to get good bite.

-M

Matt,
Road race must be different from Autocross.
On my autocross car Mark Plaia & I spent a lot of time on camber & ride height adjustments until we got wear on the entire surface of the slick. Our assumption is we got 9" of rubber at each corner, we should be using ALL of it. The LSD added a bit of a funny wear on the inside of the unloaded drive wheel, but we eventually got all of that out of the pattern.

Matt-
yeah i have done 2 track days and i have just had the tires rotated on the rims. i am running a semi slick Dunlop Durezza d03g tires my plan is to have them for the wet tyres and going to be getting slicks when i get another set of rims.
i will let you know how much negative camber i can have with this mod when i get the car back on the ground for a wheel alignment.

Eric-
i did have enough room but i had just had some tops made with a ball bearing top on them so we thought we could do it this way. was a pritty cheap too cost me $20Aus each for them to be done.

I was at the track last weekend with the X1/9 and the rear hub adjustment was great from the time i got on the track but it was very cold and wet so i couldn't get the tyres warm and i had a big spin and put all the weight load onto the front right tyre to it bottomed out onto the guard witch took a chunk out of the tyre. here is what happened to the tyre and what ended my day because i had no spare tyres.

168_6828.jpg

this is what we hit on. it has now been removed and i am welding a new square tube to replace it so it won't happen again.

168_6829.jpg

Back