Hubs on Scorpion same as X1/9?

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
Anybody know if Scorpion hubs are the same as X1/9? I see from the Vicks catalog that the Scorp rear wheel bearings are the same part number as 79-88 X's, and the Scorp fronts are the same as 74-78 X's. So is the hub carrier the same? In other words is the procedure the same as on the X?

I'm on a Scorpion list but things are pretty slow over there and getting technical help is spotty. But if the hubs are the same, then all the technical help I need is right here!

I need to do all 4 wheel bearings on the Scorp, in case you hadn't figured it out by now. :)

Thanks,
Pete

Hey Pete,

The quick answer to your question is YES. It's all basically, even specifically the same bits and parts. A few have even converted their front hubs to late X hub - gives more akerman angle and of course very robust bearings.

...and yes, both Scorp lists are slow to non-existant these days. I highly recommend you go to http://www.lancisti.net/ I find the forum there to be the most consistent Scorp resource on the net. The down side is that DJ regularly tries out new platforms (like now apparently) to get additional functionality and reliablility, but hey, at least there's a real human at the helm!

Hope that helps.

John O.

Thanks John, that helps...

I need to dive into this in the next week or two.

I've also been meaning to check out Lancisti, maybe I'll surf on over there now...

Thanks,
Pete

Hi Pete,

Let me see if I can clarify this a little better. I have heard all different variations of these specs as have others. Some of the information was correct and some not. In hind sight I know I have stated few of these details incorrectly. I had the story just as John said above until I read the specifics from our UK friends. It wasn't until each of the specific front knuckles were measured by some of the Montecarlo Consortium members in the UK that it was truly verified.

- S1 Monte/Scorpions have the smaller wheel bearing and no ackerman.
- 1500 X have the larger wheel bearing and no Ackerman
- S2 Montecarlos have both, the larger wheel bearing and Ackerman.

The S2 caliper mount is different so many are using the 1500 X knuckles, I am. To make the change you will need different outer tie rod ends. The Monte Hospital has them under part numbers MH2021 and MH2022. These are sourced from some other Fiat and I know of some who have matched them up here in the US. I could take a photo of mine with a scale next to it. The length is the only change.

I don't hang out here much but was looking at an X that was for sale earlier today and decided to troll. Good to see you and John here.

John is right about the best place being Lancisti. The Montecarlo Consortium is great too but you need to be a member. The signal to noise ratio over there is extremely low. It is worth the membership $$ (~$30/year) Let me know if you want to join. There are a few hoops to jump through to get a lower rate.

Oh, I will also add that when I replaced my bearings I took a small 90 degree pick and popped out the seals. I repacked them with modern synthetic grease and the life of them seems to be much better. There was surprisingly little grease in them.

>Scott

Scott, great to hear from you

As you may have been able to glean from other posts, I have obtained an 87 X1/9 and this will be sent to Madd Matt for the K20 conversion later this year. Trying to get the car ready in all other restpects for this conversion.

The Scorpion is doing this weird wiggly thing where when I get on or off the gas hard, it does this darty left or right motion. I had previously replaced the right side "tie rod end" on the rear wheel, which definitely had too much play. But after replacing, the problem (although far less pronounced) was still there. So I jacked up the car and spent some time trying to wiggle the wheel. The left side was fine but both the front and back on the right side had way too much play. So I'll be tackling the wheel bearing job soon.

In the meatime, thank goodness I have an X to thrash on - the out-of-the-box handling of this car is unbelievable!!! Althought the cowl shake is more than I remember... after the cage was put in my race X in about 1998, that problem was cured so I guess it's a case of selective memory.

I have to wonder if tying the front strut towers together would do anything, but my gut feeling is that front-to-rear reinforcement is what it would take... and I'm very hesitant to to that with a street-driven X, especially when the handling is so phenomenal despite the chassis flex.

Pete

Nope, no shake at speed...

The shake I'm talking about only presents on uneven road surfaces, which is contra to what one would expect with a wheel balancing issue. It's a form of vibration that I only note in open-top cars, and it's distinctly different than any other vibration.

Pete

well that thought was in the back of my mind...

But I wasn't going to say it out loud.:)

After 15 years out of a stock X, I'm willing to blame almost anything on my memory... but back then I didn't really understand chassis dynamics to the point where I knew what cowl shake was. I definitely recognize it now, and remember it as a trait of my 86.

Hard to believe that flexibility and 40mph 90 degree corners can live together, but there it is.

Pete

You are exactly correct John...

I could be wrong, Pete, but that sounds like rear a-arm ball joint. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

John O.

But after pulling the obviously defective part (scary amount of play) and replacing it, the symptom, although greatly reduced, is still there. So I'm on to the next part, which, after jacking the car up and triying to "manually" steer the wheels, is obviously the wheel bearings.

Thanks,
Pete

Back