Huge savings on wheels and tires....

petex19

True Classic
I've been saving up to buy a set of Revolution Wheels from the only place that I thought I could get them in North America. I contacted Revolution Wheels directly last spring and they gave me contact info for a temporary U.S distributor, SSP Motorsports out of Chicago.

The reason I say temporary is when I e-mailed them they let me know that they have retired from wheel sales but would take one or two more orders as a favor. Anyways the prices were high as I did expect:

Hi Pete,

We received your inquiry via the UK. Here is the information you requested. The 13x6 rally wheels are $205.00 per wheel and the 13x7 is $210.00 per wheel. Shipping would be about $70.00 for 4 - 13" wheels
Best Regards,

Sue Bonk
S & S Performance Motorsports

I've been hanging on to this info. for months waiting to place my order but here's the shocker.:eek:

So getting a set of 13" Classic 4 spoke Revolution Wheels from the U.S and shipped within the U.S to my U.S address in New York State would cost, $830.00 + shipping = $900.00

Bored at work the other day I googled Revolution Wheels distributor in the U.K and wouldn't you know it I found one that ships World wide for a song.

www.tyresave.co.uk

> To: petex19*hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: Fiat
> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:01:42 +0100
>
> Hello Peter,
>
> 2 x 6x13" and 2 x 7x13" Revolution would be 360 GBP for export.
>
> Delivery charges would be 65 GBP to either Canada or USA.
>
> Total for wheels only is 425 GBP delivered, includes new bolts and centre
> caps.

With todays conversion that is: $670.00 getting them from the U.K shipped to the U.S or Canada

A saving of $230.00 on just the wheels may not seem like much to some but then I had him price me Yokohama A048 which you can't even get in 13" in North America and after install, valve stems and balancing with shipping there was another $250.00 saving over a comparable tire like Toyo R888 or Toyo RA1 which they can also get.

So although this was a lengthy read hopefully I was able to save someone else $500.00 on a single set of wheels and tires.

The point and the part that doesn't add up is why is it cheaper to get something from across the ocean shipped all the way to the U.S then from the U.S to the U.S. Tyresave is a distributor just like SSP Motorsports, they're not the manufacturer so somebody is filling their pockets with mark up.:wacko:

'PeteX1/9

Some of that must be duty charges

The importer is responsible for the duty fees, and of course, they are going to pass them on to you, possibly with some kind of service charge added. When you import the wheels yourself, you will have to pay the duty yourself, but you know there won't be any markup on that.

Duty fees have no part in this untill I decide to bring the wheels and tires across the border to Canada and pay the duty.

The $500.00 difference in price is based on an American getting the wheels shipped to their door in the U.S from the U.K instead of getting them from the U.S itself. The duty to be paid bringing them into Canada would still have to be paid regardless of who I bought them from. $500.00 saving before importing them into Canada is quite substantial and I priced the Toyo's with the set and they would be $7 cheaper yet.

'PeteX1/9

No, wait a minute

There is duty to be paid for the import from GB to US!
In scenario 1, this duty is included, in scenario 2, the buyer will have to pay it and it has to be added to the total cost...

I spent the next two hours after reading your response doing my research and spoke to both US and Canada customs directly. US customs due to the fact that I would be just recieving the wheels and tires and then immediately importing them into Canada said their would be no fees to be paid other then the shipping from the UK to the US of course. Then when importing them into Canada I would be paying 6% on the wheels and 7% on the tires because they are manufactured outside of North America on top of the Ontario Canada HST (13%) tax. So if Customs is correct I would be paying for arguments sake an aditional 7% on the total getting everything from the UK rather then from SSP in the US. The total being $1300.00 makes it $78 which is way less then $500 that I would be paying extra getting everything from the US distributor. The HST (13%) either scenario I would still be paying bringing the wheels and tires into Canada.

'PeteX1/9

I have a question? Will those tires be DOT legal and will we get any crap for them if they are not??? If not then I am in for a set....Of wheels and tires...:headbang:

Even in Europe, all tires have DOT numbers on them.
I don't know if there are any addl. requirements.

Yes but I thought that it was illegal to import most tires from Europe to the U.S. Hence the reason we cant get most of the tires offered over there.

What my tire folks said...

In addition to the DOT thing, is that the rubber is different (so?) and so are the other ratings. Maybe it's all baloney and they only want to sell what they are sold.

I'd say the last part of that sentence is the reason...

The tires we want are still manufactured, and are available but since the market here for 13" tires is small no one wants to deal with having to import them.

As Ulix said they all or most should have DOT certification. There's little to no difference in the rubber other than what you would find in differences between tire manufacturers in general.

A word on duties--I buy and sell a lot of stuff (car and bike stuff and books) out of the UK the rest of the EU. If you are an individual using regular postal service--customs is usually zero. I have no idea how rims would be shipped.

For you taking them from the US into canada--why not put them on your X and drive them across the border--no customs fees that way!

Believe me I thought of that but what do I do with the wheels and tires that I drove down with ? I have a car hauler and thought about hauling the car to the U.S and doing a quick parking lot switcheroo with the new set and throw the old set in the van. In all seriousness when I spoke to Canada Customs on the phone they advised me to have the wheels and tires shipped directly to Canada so I only pay the duty fees which is 7% on top of Ontario tax-HST (13%) because they feel I may get dinged with duty from both the U.S when I pick them up and then again in Canada when I bring them across. I only reason I don't want to let FedEx bring them directly to Canada is because I'm afraid they will have a hay day with brokerage fees.

When I spoke to U.S Customs they said that their would be no duty fees but I'm not completely convinced of that.

'PeteX1/9

I wouldn't worry about the tire police JJ...

Here are the markings Europe v.US DOT

Here is the Sumi US DOT

DSC00173.jpg

Here is Europe TOYO CF1's

DSC00175.jpg

Here is Europe YOKO A539 I still have in the bank :)

DSC00174.jpg

Yes but I thought that it was illegal to import most tires from Europe to the U.S. Hence the reason we cant get most of the tires offered over there.

Stop the presses; Where did you buy A539s from?

I have contacted over 20 tire sellers in the UK and no one will ship to the US. How did you buy Yokos A 539s?

pete

custom in pure comunist way. in comunist country peoples are doing like this:

ask the seller to put inside a invoice of $200 usd for wheels.
this way u'll pay custom for $200 , or better , ask to send it as GIFT ( it works in usa ! ) send it as private person makes it 100% look normal .....

but i must worn you, this is cheating the state , so don;t do it !:happy: :headbang:

I just ordered the Falken 912s

I didn't see Yokohama A539 shown but Demon-Tweeks ships world wide and carries many European competition tires or (tyres) as they would spell in the UK that you can't get in North America.

Definately worth checking out this link:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Wheels_&_Tyres/1787

'PeteX1/9

Lets see what happens. I would have liked the A539s, but the 912s have good write ups. Why do I hate the Sumotomas enough to spend $40 more a tire to try a tire I do not know anyone who owns?

Pete thanks for the link (I think).

For you taking them from the US into canada--why not put them on your X and drive them across the border--no customs fees that way!

You don't put anything over on the customs folks

Fella I work with just bought a Harley from the US

Customs: What you pay for bike?

Fella: $5500

Customs: Then why did you withdraw $8500 from the bank?

Seems they have access to a lot of info these days.

You don't put anything over on the customs folks

Fella I work with just bought a Harley from the US

Customs: What you pay for bike?

Fella: $5500

Customs: Then why did you withdraw $8500 from the bank?

Seems they have access to a lot of info these days.

That's a whole 'nother' story--he probably had to claim how much cash he was bringing into the US--then on the way back into Canada--he had a Harley and no cash. The questions from Customs was probably--did you spend $8500 on the Harley or do you have $3000 of drugs hidden on you somewhere. I doubt they are checking bank accounts.

Back