Humiliated by a bogus move...

wrxdrew

1300cc's of Angry Bees
Sorry have to rant, personal pet peave.

I was driving home from the pharmacy after picking up my wife's prescription, and driving my daily driver (2007 WRX Wagon) in normal commute mode.

I started off from the light normally, and slid into 2nd gear at about 2500rpm, then boom a 350Z, who was the only car with me at the light, passes me at red-line and shoots off into the distance. :mad4: So Bogus! :mad4:

That's right, decide to be Johnny Racer when i'm completely off rev and at the absolute bottom of my power band. Completely lame, i did nothing to instigate this, my daily driver even has a baby seat in the back and not one piece of aftermarket rice on it. For some reason driving a WRX really catches all kinds of street racing trash. i get this all day from EVOs and Mazdaspeed3s and turbo Neons. I have this done to me when I'm driving the X as well. Except I'm usually better at keeping up the Rs, however, it is especially irritating because of how gutless the X is down low.

So am i the only one this irritates? Is anybody here guilty of pulling this move on fellow motorists?

I usually get my vengeance in the following corner, 95% of these 'tards don't know how to handle a corner properly.

Pretty comon stuff. I had a 95 turbo eclipse about 2 years ago. Bought it cheap and put it back together. One night coming home down the 210 fwy from a movie this subaru comes flying up out of no where , gets even with me and just paces right next to me. he pulls ahead a littl drop backs a little etc. i tell my girl look , this guy wants to play. She asks how i know and i tell her watch this. I drop it 2 gears and take off for just a second. he launches and i back out he is gone. Got this all day long when i drove the turbo eclipse.
Comming home once from a party at my sisters up the 5, a mustang comes flying up the side of us and sails on past. its 2 am , i guess he noticed the vette but was going way to fast to slow in time so he backs out of it and goes way slow till we catch him. we are not driving fast, just driving normal. he gets along the side of us at speed and starts blipping the throttle and pulling forward and dropping back trying to get us to give it a run. Im just laughing cause i know we aint got a shot. My girl whose probably had one to many starts to go for it but i shut her down laughing cause right now shes got more balls then brains.
its funny, they see the car but never see inside, were like 49,

Humiliated?

You need thicker skin. This kind of stuff is unsafe and immature on public roads, and illegal in most places.:rolleyes2:

When this happens to me, I just laugh, see you at the next light lead foot. And I'll pass you while you get gas, ha!:p

I recommend autocrossing...:thumbsup:

Andrew... let it go...

Just the fact that they noticed your car is quite enough. NOT succombing to their teasing is what is COOL... falling for it makes ya look stupid.

Now... with that said...

There is a long sweeping, downhill offramp coming off the 14 onto Newhall avenue, formally Sna Fernando Road. Its two lanes wide with no stop at the bottom feeding the beginning of Newhall Avenue when it hits the bottom.

Many times some dude will climb on my rear or try to outperform me in the turn... I just love pulling away from them... actually accelerating and leaving them in the dust. Its my little turn at "getting even" without endangering anybody.

The stop light Grand Prix... Why do car folks do this?

If ya really wanna engage in this kind of competitive behavior, take it to the race track where it belongs.. On the streets, it's also a danger and hazard to other drives that share the road.

Just about every WRX is see these days have been ricer-R-ized in some way. They are typically blue with gold/yellow wheels like a uniform of street racing.

It's easy to stomp on the throttle, but far more difficult to properly connect a set of curves smoothly at speed. Or, the core reason why horse power sells cars..and great chassis dynamics have less market appeal and appreciation.

Sorry have to rant, personal pet peave.

I was driving home from the pharmacy after picking up my wife's prescription, and driving my daily driver (2007 WRX Wagon) in normal commute mode.

I started off from the light normally, and slid into 2nd gear at about 2500rpm, then boom a 350Z, who was the only car with me at the light, passes me at red-line and shoots off into the distance. :mad4: So Bogus! :mad4:

That's right, decide to be Johnny Racer when i'm completely off rev and at the absolute bottom of my power band. Completely lame, i did nothing to instigate this, my daily driver even has a baby seat in the back and not one piece of aftermarket rice on it. For some reason driving a WRX really catches all kinds of street racing trash. i get this all day from EVOs and Mazdaspeed3s and turbo Neons. I have this done to me when I'm driving the X as well. Except I'm usually better at keeping up the Rs, however, it is especially irritating because of how gutless the X is down low.

So am i the only one this irritates? Is anybody here guilty of pulling this move on fellow motorists?

I usually get my vengeance in the following corner, 95% of these 'tards don't know how to handle a corner properly.

Sociobiological explanation....

Part of the reason that horse racing is such a historically successful sport is that horses, as do most other 4 footed animals, instinctively resist being overtaken when running. In the wild the slower animals are more likely to end up food, so, the urge to not become food instinctively expresses as "run harder" or run hard enough to beat this one that's approaching, beside, or ahead of me.

At the cultural level, the alpha male complex has endless expressions in endless ways, transportation being one of them. The fastest car is the 'top of the food chain' or the "fittest" in 'survival of the fittest.' To be the fastest is to most quickly acheive or avoid calamity, death, or to acquire something before the other one's do. To have the ability to make things happen faster, louder, with more flare, is a figmentary expression of pack dominance.

This is likewise expressed in automotive culture where the loudest roar, the wildest color, the biggest tires, etc., all express the trappings of alpha male psychology in humans.

That's why it's almost universal, particularly male drivers, that they speed up when you are approaching to pass even in a four lane, they want to beat you off the line, despite sometimes wildly inferior machinery. It's conditioning, pure and simple.

Little boys with Hot Wheels try to push their's at a faster rate than their friend's. They make the exhaust noise louder than their friend's. Louder exhaust, faster, etc., see how this all fits?

We all do it, we all notice it. The fact that you were so attune to this is indicative of your condition just as much as the possibly macho behavior of the one that you allowed to annoy you. But let's face it....if you had been in an equivalent or faster car, you would have at least been tempted to 'show him' or moreover rest assured that "I could blow him away if I really wanted to, but I won't this time."

It's all between our ears, and just happens to be expressed on four wheels. Isn't it fun?

the fun part is:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBNtOujfQRg"]YouTube- LowTEC Derbo's 12.8 Pass on Drag Radials[/ame]

This is what my brother did with my Wagon while i was over seas. It had an STI turbo and intercooler, full turbo back exhaust, manual boost control pushing 21lbs of boost on race gas. Yes i know he got beat by a civic, but that's a bone stock looking 12.9sec wagon that he drove to the track, i guarentee the other gentlman did not run what he brung.

In the end i had him put it all back to stock, as i was having a kid and didn't need that kinda trouble. My transmission will never be the same.

Same Problem

My daily driver is a Mazda RX8 GT - stock apart from being lowered an inch. It looks mean and fast.
So mean and fast that it kicks in the other drivers "jealousy factor". All sorts of vehicles try and race me. On a freeway they see me about to pass then speed up to prevent me passing. So I slow down and get in the slow lane behind them. Then they slow down. Next I go to pass again and they speed up. It happens all the time.

I get the same thing with my WRX.

Here in Ontario, Canada we have a speed racing law and a stunt driving law...

...if you get stopped by the police, it results in an immediate roadside driving suspension and you must surrender your car to the police at the roadside....guilty before you even meet a judge...if the car is highly modified they threaten crushing the caar...to much power in the police officers' hands IMO.

...however, you really do think before you act if you want to drive here....cops at every intersection anymore...always take it to the track.

P

Happens to me every day in my X.. There is always some idiot reving up next to me at the redlight.. I just smile and drive away laughing.. It's bone stock, couldnt compare to alot of new cars today when it comes to light to light racing.

Funny thing is they probly blast off from the light and tell their friends they just smoked a ferarri. :blackeye:

Happens to me every day in my X.. There is always some idiot reving up next to me at the redlight.. I just smile and drive away laughing..

When I first got my Scorpion on the road this happened to me all the time. Some kid in a "R"iced out Honda or whatever would pull up next to me rev'ing and snorting his engine like some sort of metaphor for wanting to compare penis sizes with me. As much as the Scorp's good looks write a check it's performance can't cash, I always figured it'n not hard to out "cool" anyone who shows up to the stop light with tacked on primer colored fibreglass pieces and a shopping cart handle screwed to the trunk lid of their cheap japanese sedan.

John O.

I avoid all of the fun driving a 1982 Mercedes as my daily driver. I feel a bit ignored sometimes at stoplights when people let me pull in front of them as if they are helping an old man cross the street.

Seriously though, I think a lot of the street racers miss the point of our classic cars that its not about the numbers but about the driving fun.

It gets under my skin too

My last car was an e36 M3 and I had my fair share of similar experiences. Haven't had any with the X yet, though it's just a weekend toy and doesn't get driven near as much. Nearly nothing in my current DD - a neon.

I agree with all the comments to just be cool and let them act how they want to act, but it still always irks me when it happens. I'll admit that it was fun putting guys in their place from time to time in the M3 though. The older I get the more I realize how stupid and unsafe it is. Not to say I still don't have a little fun when I can, but none of the "bogus" stuff. I've always preferred just spirited driving on secluded roads for my own fun - not racing others. I save that for autocross.

Drive a 128 SL coupe

Bright orange with Panasports. The ricers spend so much time staring at you with their mouths open trying to figure out what it is you could beat them just by walking.

Carl

I use to

Get it all the time when I had the Scorpion. I few times I would bite, and be sitting at the next stoplight waiting for the riceburner. If they knew how to drive their supped up cars, they would have toasted me, but this was soon after the first Fast and Furious movie, and a lot of Microsoft families bought their kids hondas and with unlimited funds, would tweak them beyond belief. But all the power in the world does not mean you know how to drive it. After trading the Scorp for Warrens supper X, I was at my best friends wedding and we needed a pre wedding beer run. His future brother in-law wanted to race me to the store and back with his Saleen Mustang. We were in a an area where the roads were really X friendly with about a quarter mile straight at the end of a twisty area. I knew the roads really good and said sure. We both took off and I was tossing the X around the curves at about 20 mph above what he could handle with his 'Stang. I got a huge lead on him when we hit the straight and I dropped right down to the speed limit. A few seconds later he blew by me at what seemed like mach 1. I might as well have been going backwards when he passed me. But, like I said, I knew the roads really good and knew that about an 1/8 of a mile down the straight there was a cop speed trap. I waved as I passed him after he got pulled over and again when I drove back past him on the way back with the beer. When he got back to the wedding (made it in plenty of time, or his sister would have killed both of us) he was touting a $250 ticket and the only reason he got off with just that was because he was in his tux for the wedding and told the cop the bridal party had forgotten the wedding rings and he was running to get them. Told us the cop wanted to impound the car, but let him off with the ticket and a warning. When the wedding was over I asked him if he wanted to race to the reception and he had obviously learned his lesson and declined. We pulled out of the parking lot on the way to the reception and the cop that pulled him over was sitting right there watching and followed him all the way to the reception. It was pretty funny.

Sometimes

all you have to do is sound mean. back when I younger and less mature i was driving home late at night with a friend. I had a 70's garnd torino fast back with a 302 cid engine that ran like a "dog" in the bad conatation of the word. this Corvette cam up fast behind me and started passing and was already beside me when my friend said, "You are not going to let him do that are you?" well as ? I said I knew I was no match for a vette but a floored it anyhow. now let me add this car had a cherry bomb muffler that was clamped not welded into place when you accelerated hard it would pull air in around the intake of the muffler and produce a whislting sound akin to a super charger. well to say the least the vette hit its brakes and let me sail on pass when he heard the whistle. I assume he thought a super charged mustang mach1 look alike would whip his tail. whould he be suprised to know what I really had. now I just as you say laugh it off as I know that it is not a destination it is a journey and you really can't see anything well at too great a speed.

Back