Humiliated by a bogus move...

My crowning achievement in an X...

Was the first week I had my 74...a Corvette just blew past me on the right on Rt 139 in Marshfield, Ma, just before the incredibly curvy entrance ramp to Rte 3.

I was young and foolish (now old and foolish) and floored it....he could take the long curve of the ramp at 35, maybe 40+ tops

I went around the sharp curve at perhaps 60-70, and blew by him even better ON THE INSIDE... and was WAY ahead of him when the ramp hit the expressway. I laughed cuz I had just flat out embarrassed a Corvette.

Knowing what was coming I immediately backed down to the speed limit (55) and waited.

About 8 seconds later I couldn't even see his taillights, he was so far ahead...he was so pissed....

(BTW as I keep retelling this story I get faster each time...)

Happens all the time here in central cal

Lots of those imitation racers with the big exhausts around here. There's a lovely freeway on ramp I take going home everyday, a nice tight left hander rated at 40 mph. I have had the pleasure of being passed on numerous occasions approaching this on ramp by these punks, and then when they slam on the brakes to negotiate the turn, there I am crawling up their ass and waving! Makes my day every time!

I know that none of our Alfa's can beat most of those ricer cars (because lets face it, a lot of them are very very fast in a straight line) so I don't give them the pleasure by trying anything. I just visibly check out their car, then take off normally. Might as well have them wonder whats under my hood rather than just proove theres not much there! It happens all the time when I'm driving the Alfa that my Dad and I race. I'm still young, so mix that with a half cage, race seats and R comp tires and its a magnet for people wanting to race you. As far as I'm concerned, its not worth being busted by the cops, having the car defected and ending our competition season early just to show off to someone I've never met. That, and Dad would actually kill me too.

The biggest racer bait I've ever been in is on transport stages when I'm navigating for my friend in his WRX rally car. Its a nuts gravel spec rex with full insanely complex roll cage, race seats, harnesses, straight cut gears, chunky dirt tires (it sits low on big white 17" Speedlines when in tarmac spec) and its bright orange with a full sticker job, rally door panels and numbers. I swear, every man and his dog wants to race that thing. Its fun going through RBT's in it as well... because its registered as a dedicated rally car all that stuff is legal... its a laugh sailing through with a full cage watching guys in Skylines getting done for stupid little things :)

Owning an X and an old Vette...

... I do the save the rather STRAIGHT roads for the Vette... and the twisties for the X.

Talk about a charmed life, huh?

MAYBE KANSAS IS WIERD.

Here, people want to drag race because they want to see the old car in action!! They want to hear the engine rev and the tires squeel. It's a sign of a fellow enthusiast, not (always) some punk with a small penis.

I consider it a compliment!

Too many people only drive their precious car to the show and back. People respect somone who really drives the car.

And there is no law preventing you from reaching the speed limit REALLY QUICKLY!!!

There is in NC

A law that cops can use to bust you for speeding to the speed limit, squeeling tires, etc.. It's called exhibition of speed!

LOL, just the other day I was tooling around with the WRX and some young punk in a riced out neon tried to keep up with me around a nice decreasing radius on ramp. at first, I was just cruising along, but he was right on my ass. So, being the immature old man that I am, I showed him what a real turbo (and a whole lot of suspension goodies) can do...

I backed down to interstate speed after hitting the far left lane. He didn't even bother to try to catch up.

and if a game warden catches you

He call it careless and reckless.
as someone else said. "ask me how I know?"

In PA

Here, people want to drag race because they want to see the old car in action!! They want to hear the engine rev and the tires squeel. It's a sign of a fellow enthusiast, not (always) some punk with a small penis.

I consider it a compliment!

Too many people only drive their precious car to the show and back. People respect somone who really drives the car.

And there is no law preventing you from reaching the speed limit REALLY QUICKLY!!!

To go along with what Lambertta X1/9 said - Here in PA, and I'd assume elsewhere, pulling out really fast from a stop light next to another guy will earn you a lost license for a few months for "racing" no matter what speed you get up to. I don't know the law's name, but I've seen it enforced. It is drag racing. . . on the street. . .

I can relate to the sign of a fellow enthusiast though. I've had guys pull up reving, smiling, and waving, and giving the thumbs up after it's over, win or lose. Like you said, not all are punks. Just most of them.:D

Back