I bought my first X, wanna see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]I bought my first X, wanna see it?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 7 2001 at 6:56 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Humberto"); // --> </SCRIPT>Humberto <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hello X-heads

Yes, I've just bought my first car ........'75 1300cc X1/9. Due to a very positive employer I have a Mitsubishi L200 diesel pickup for the daily routine. X is for my fun in the weekends, greasy fingers and girlfriend needing a nice car. A beautiful woman should drive an equivalent vehicle! (I recently read in this forum that getting the spouse involved in a positive manner is crucial for the support of an X-project)

Happy as can be and looking forward towards getting it fit for driving. The car does drive, but tranny needs overhaul and engine needs cleaning / tuning. Revs a little high on stationary, stutters on high gas / acceleration. Not to mention the exhaust which -sort of- rattles and other ‘funny' noises coming from behind. Little play in the steering, but taking curves is fun, especially when you are used to a pickup!

First project is getting it through the obligated government test. It was turned down earlier on a handbrake malfunction. Which ought te be fixed according to the previous owner.

A lot of rarities occur when getting into X. For instance my visual-capacities grew largely after the buy. There is definitely more rust than when I saw my car before (just a few weeks ago). Whether-gods do not like X's. It has not rained for 4 months in a row. I buy my X and bang a huge rainfall last night. As my carport isn't prepared yet and a car-cover is to be bought today X had to withstand the elements on its own. This morning before heading to work -just out of curiosity- I inspected X whether it might leak.

Hmmmm, why didn't fiat put a bilge-pump in? Floorboard of passenger-side has about 1.5" of water in it and ducks floating around. I like water and ducks are pretty rare out here so nothing to worry about I guess. If X survived 26 years it will do just fine with 1.5" of water for one day (cruel he!).

Honestly, my X evolves in quite some larger project than foreseen. One -supposed- luck; I did buy an old fiat 138 block with gearbox and carb for spare parts for the amazing amount of $15. I've even heard the rumor that there are two other X's around which will suite fine for spare-parts (cars in very bad shape).

I'd like to share the beautiful pictures of my X and her utmost beautiful parking space with you, but I don't know how to post them here. If somebody can help me out there I'll try to post them here for duck-lovers and general entertainment.

Anyway, as you X-heads are probably the only ones who know the thrill of a project X I'm very pleased to post my blagablaga here. I sincerely hope that MAC doesn't open a specific forum for ducks and blagablaga and DOOMS me to that corner to be left alone and never heard of.

Great part of the fun and one of the reasons of getting into X was this forum. Love the talks here. Next time more serious stuff. Thanks for the possibility of sharing the start of my X-story with you.

Humberto
Curacao, Netherlands Antilles (next to Aruba, in front of coast of Venezuela)
Caribbean<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natol"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natol <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->WELCOME and CONGRATS...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 7 2001, 7:53 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Looks like you have your work cut out for you... and this will be the site that helps!

Did you look into "theoretical" shipping charges???

Having a regular driver and an understanding spouse will allow you to take the time to do things right.

Maybe she can douse the car with a water hose and you can look inside for leaks... Hopefully you are just missing a rubber plug or two and its not leaking through rusty panels.

As for the steering problem... sounds like tie rod ends and that should be addressed first... then the exhaust noise.

There's a recent thread on replacing the ends here somewhere.

As for posting pics... I have been UNABLE to do that but others say its a cinch... by signing up on newwork54 and logging in.

Then there is supposed to be a box to click on to "attach files or fotos..." But I've never seen it... Others say its no problem!!!

Good Luck... keep us posted!

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli
1979 X1/9 with 148K and still steamin'
Santa Clarita, CA<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("de Agachalo"); // --> </SCRIPT>de Agachalo <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Trying to post pics (I'm registered now)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 10 2001, 6:36 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Tony,

Thanks for the kind words. I need a lot to learn about both X1/9 and internet. As I registered myself on network54 I'm getting the insert object checkbox. I've even made a Realm and uploaded 3 pics. But how to get them on the forum......

I've had my portion of 'fun' for today. Do need your advice maybe. But I'm gone start a new topic on that.

Greetings

Humberto

(Hope to become steaming, 0 miles, 0 pics, no manuals yet.....)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">
1104982812.JPG

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Rob Hill"); // --> </SCRIPT>Rob Hill <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Former bird bath owner myself<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 9 2001, 9:51 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hey Mon!

Welcome to the world of X1/9s, Humberto. My first X (a new 1980) developed the same problem when it was about 4 yrs old and would leak every time it rained. Typically wouldn't know it until I made the first hard turn and it sloshed out of the fuse trough under the passenger side of the dash. Never did find the leak so I kept a medium-size pan and beach towel handy for bailing. Too bad you don't have cold weather in the Caribbean - you can lift it out in one big chunk when it freezes
happy.gif

As for posting pics, make sure your photo has a simple name with no hyphens, etc. (like pic1.jpg) and copy it to your root directory (C:\). Then click on the Insert Object button. Works for me. However, if I have a long file name or it is buried under multiple directories/folders, the Upload feature goes blind and severe aggravation sets in...

Rob Hill
Raleigh, NC
80 Rosso X1/9
Potenza = Velocita
wink.gif
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("de Agachalo"); // --> </SCRIPT>de Agachalo <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Untitled<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]May 10 2001, 6:47 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hey Rob,

I adapt to good ideas quickly. Bucket and sponge are installed and car-cover in back for heavy rainfall.

I'll fix this when other (more serious) stuff is out of the way.

I'm trying your advice on the pics. Didn't work so far....

Uploading through temporary resource: upload doesn't work. Get error running script on page.

I've made a realm and uploaded there 3 pics. Inserting from that resource doesn't work either. Get error running script again.

Try again another time. Have more serious X problems now.

Good luck with your bird-bath.

Humberto<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back