I broke off the radiator bleeder

Nine years is a very long time to leave the coolant in any car..

Coolant might be called "anti-freeze" but it's real job is to limit corrosion in the cooling system. These corrosion inhibitors break down and get used-up over time.. which is one of the real reasons why coolant in all cars have a finite life.

50/50 Prestone is fine.. It's old green reliable, predictable.

Back in the exotic car shopp days, the majority of customers would only drive their fine Italian exotic a few times each year.. When they did, they drove them with gusto... and quickly discovered just how bad it is to simply store their car and drive them less than often. Brake and hydraulic systems would die, rusty fuel tanks, stuck fuel pumps, clogged carbs and etc.. were common. Lesson here, drive that car and often.

Bernice

I am awaiting hose(s) from Matt -- actually I received them but one of them is not the correct hose. Hopefully he'll send the correct one rapidly. I tried calling on Matt on Saturday (upon their delivery) but no one was there. I'll be calling tomorrow.
Only then will I be able to see if all worked out well. The radiator was indeed pressure tested by the repair shop. I normally use plain old Prestone anti-freeze in a 50/50 mix since it does get cold here.
I haven't changed it for about nine years since I didn't put 8,000 miles on the car in that time, and she lives in a heated garage.
The past twelve months have been very -- uhhh --"interesting". I never planned to be an auto mechanic. But in the past twelve months I changed the alternator, starter, completed the BWM (along with the ground mods), put in a clutch master and slave, and damaged/repaired the radiator.
This is my fourth X1/9. I had a '76 in 1980, an '80 from 1981 thru '88 (got 125K miles on that one), an '86 from 1988 thru 1995 (totaled that one with 95K miles on her, and then found a brand new '88 in 1995 sitting in a showroom. I've had her ever since. I put 40K miles on her in two years. Then I retired and she semi-retired. I done very little to her since replacing the head gasket in 2001. I hope she behaves after this go-round.
Thanx to all who provided their help and guidance thru this whole ordeal.
Steve

thanks Bernice

I will heed your advice. I was actually planning to change the coolant more frequently -- just procrastinated for too long. With my new bleeder, it will be easier.
I try to drive her at least once/week. My wife really doesn't like her (maybe she's jealous -- hahaha), so we use the Ford explorer for most of our "together" driving. I use the X1/9 when I am alone, unless she's in need of repairs like for most of the past year or if it is raining or otherwise inclement weather. The only water she sees is when I wash her.
I posted a thread for Petex19 re: alternative radiator bleeding. I was hoping to hear from you with regard to whether you had ever heard of that method.
Steve

Back