I hate thieves!

Indeed

Yeah, I had a 96 Camaro back when Katrina run my Navy command out of New Orleans. Evacuated to Atlanta first, then my command set up shop in Fort Worth, TX. The last night in Atlanta someone jacked the Camaros stereo and FUBARed my dashboard all up. Wasn't a very good time.....apartment ruined by the hurricane (had renters insurance though) and then my stereo jacked. Nice.

I Got Hit A Couple of Months Ago

I got hit by some theives a couple of months ago. They got into my daily driver ('88 Honda Prelude). Thankfully they didn't break any windows or do any damage. All they took was my satellite radio (which was tucked away under the driver's seat) AND my garage door opener. I don't really keep anything of value in my car and the radio is just the stock unit.

It was a Tuesday night around 1 am and luckily I was out in the garage working. The Prelude was parked outside while my X and Jeep CJ7 were inside the garage. All of the sudden my garage door started opening, which immediatelty freaked me out. The door went up halfway, stopped, and went down again. Two thoughts rushed into my mind: either someone else in the townhouse complex happened to have the same code as me for their garage door opener (I quickly discounted this thought); or someone just broke into my Prelude and stole the garage door opener.

I would have liked to see the look on the their face as they opened up the garage door and there I stood. They closed it so fast that I couldn't run out and chase after them. That's probably all the better for me since if they were stupid enough to try and get into the garage (which has a bedroom directly above it and most likely would wake up the occupants) at 1 am on weeknight, they probably would have been stupid enough to do something pretty harmful to me if I would have chased after them.

Moral of the story: be careful when leaving your garage door opener in your car. After all, there is probably some identifying item containing your address in your car also (such as DMV registration) giving thieves direct access to your garage - and possibly your house. Even if they just get into your garage, I am sure a lot of us have tools and other stuff we wouldn't want to lose.

Sean
Rocklin, CA

In my training at the range I learned that here in Ohio legally I cannot discharge my Crimson trace-S&W 38 special or my Springfield XD 45 to merely protect personal property. It's best to call the police. If I feel I must hold the gun on the criminal, hopefully he would not be stupid enough to display the willingness, intent and ability to hurt me. Previous experience has taught me that holding a gun on someone does not guarantee the criminal's compliance. Training is a good thing, and one cannot have enough of it. And remember (with apologies to my cop brother) "the police are minutes away when seconds count." www.sim-trainer.com

My X arrived equipped with some garish CD changer with a light-up-your-face-in-the-dark display and a detachable faceplate. I don't usually listen to it anyway because I'm busy listening to the engine for both good and bad sounds. I'll probably detach the faceplate and leave it that way.

I got a better one, my car was parked with the doors unlocked. They broke the window and pull out a old benzy box radio(came with the car).

Back