I have a unique opportuniy (possibly)

Yeah! What do I win?

I love the idea of "heirloom" firearms. I don't have any from my grandfather but I do have a 20ga pump from my dad. Prettiest gun I have, in fact.

If you ever do shoot the Ruger, watch out for getting the "webbing" between your thumb and forefinger pinched by the slide on the way back in. You're probably an experienced enough shooter that you would see it coming, but a kid or a wife might not. Mine didn't. :(

Pete

You win umm....... the satisfactioon of identifying the pistol? How 'bout a gold star..... oh no gold stars here. OK how 'bout aaaa:lol:

I have fired the gun, many times. I am aware of the slide biting your hand. We refer to that as "rail roaded". Most semi auto pistols have a rail on the bottom of each side of the slide. If you have your grip too high, or if you have a habit of laying the thumb of your support hand over the back of your gun hand, ya might get railroaded. I had it happen once with a baby 9mm. Hurts like hell. Lst month I took my nephew shooting fir the first tiem. Eventually he fired the ruger pistol. Obviously I watched him like a hawk. Hovering just behind him waiting for him to do something dangerous. The whole time I was encouraging him. I had to warn hima couple times to watch teh slide so he doesn't get railroaded.

I must have misread your other post...

I thought you had said you inherited the gun in unfired condition and didn't know if you wanted to pop the cherry. Not much point in a gun you can't fire, unless it's an antique, I guess. :)

Pete

You read correctly Pete. It was unfired, and I did think long and hard. But in the end, I agree with you logic. No point in owning a gun that you dont shoot. I had several of those, and got rid of them to get a few that I wanted to shoot.
BTW, I bet you cannot guess what kind the little chrome plated revolver is! Unfortunately it is one that does not shoot. Again, it was a family heirllom with an interesting story behind it. It isn't worth anything, so I just keep it as a reminder of famiy past. During the depression my wifes other grandfather bought a house in Pickneyville Il. He was moving in, while the previous owner was moving out. On his last trip out, he pulled out the pistol and gave it to her grandfather. He kept it for years (never fired it)and gave it to my father in law back in the 50's. My FIL thought it was a neat little gun so he had it chrome plated. He never fired it, and kept it in his gunsafe loaded. He thought it would make a pretty good "belly gun" in a pinch. Since his father in law gave it to him. He thought it wa sonyl right for him to give it to his son in law. He gave it to me and I had it in my safe for several years. One day I went out shooting and decide to bring it with me to put a few rounds through it.
Ever since I had heard of this gun, I was suspicous as to WHY the guy gave it to my wifes grandfather almost 80 years ago. Being a cop, I suspected it was used in a crime and he dumped it off on teh first guy he could find. Well when I went to shoot it, I found out why..... It didn't work. I loaded it up, and pulled the trigger. I just got a "click". I immediately knew why. After researching the gun, I learned that a common modification was to "bob" the hammer. People removed the thumb cocking tab from the bakc of the hammer to reduce accidental discharges when they shoved it in thier pocket. As a result, many people took too much weight off the hammer, and when the hammer dropped, it didn't have enough weight to strike the primer!
I could pick up a new hammer for it for next to nothing. But I decided to keep it as it is. I thought it was pretty funny that this gun had been floating around the family and no one ever fired it. And if they did, they would have known it didn't work!
So, look at the pic again. Do ya know what it is? Anyone......Anyone...Bueller.....Bueller.

Back