I have to retrofit the OEM FI exhaust manifold

Gilles

Daily Driver
This is a three bolt (triangular) flange that connects the OEM exhaust manifold with the down pipe (where the O2 sensor mounts).
However, I cannot remember if you are supposed to use a gasket between the OEM exhaust manifold and the down tube

I called Fiat Plus to order the gasket but Rob's microfiche does not show anything in between, just wanted to be sure and not having to remove everything again later on..

Thanks, Gilles

Mine came with a gasket, however,

when I had to tear into mine I could not find a replacement anywhere. I was told by a good source (sorry, I forgot who!) that it's a metal-to-metal joint- no gasket needed. I did not put a gasket back, but instead used exhaust leak sealer out of a tube I bought at Autozone. Works great and no leaks.

Jim in Atlanta

Gilles, if that is the BALL JOINT junction...

... you are referring to, the answer is NO. No gasket there. It is supposed to be flexible so the engine and the exhaust system can flex and twist INDEPENDANTLY of each other... just a bit.

Not the way I woulda done it... HA... but that is the way it is!

This is a three bolt (triangular) flange that connects the OEM exhaust manifold with the down pipe (where the O2 sensor mounts).
However, I cannot remember if you are supposed to use a gasket between the OEM exhaust manifold and the down tube

I called Fiat Plus to order the gasket but Rob's microfiche does not show anything in between, just wanted to be sure and not having to remove everything again later on..

Thanks, Gilles

There is no gasket, it is a machined metal surface & should seal.
NEVER use any kind of silicone sealer on it as it will pollute the O2 sensor & the cat!

I just took mine ('86 FI) apart over the weekend and there was no gasket in the manifold-to-downpipe joint.

A look at the parts manuals shows no gasket at that location.

Back