I just got my new Vick's Header

alternator goes in the A/C position

or you have to modify the alternator back cover for it to fit. Won't bet any money on the life of the alt with that kinda heat, but it fits! lol and mine is a PBS header with Jet Hot coating...

DSCN3617.jpg

Correct for carbed cars

Supposedly, that's waht it is designed for, but only for carbed cars with cat, not for FI cars.

I wonder, does nickel plating hold up to high heat?

I am envious, I also got the uncoated header... :-(

JIC you havent thought about it, before you attempt to fire the engine up with that header on there; make sure that the header is completely free of grease & finger prints etc.. or they will be "burned" into the finish. I use a fast drying non streaking cleaner such as rubbing alcohol for the final clean after all other containment's have been removed. Also be certain the alcohol has evaporated before starting the engine ;)

Nickle plating dosent do anything for heat, and it blues up like chrome. Had some Doug Thourgly headers like that.

Thanks

I would not have thought of that. Sounds like a good idea though.

Mmmmm, shiny!

IIRC, the general rule of thumb is this type of 4-1 header is good for top end, while a 4-2-1 header would be good for midrange.....?:brow:

Supposedly, that's waht it is designed for, but only for carbed cars with cat, not for FI cars.

I wonder, does nickel plating hold up to high heat?

I am envious, I also got the uncoated header... :-(

Hi Ulix,

So you are saying I am going to have issues with fitting this to my exhaust system? If that is what you are saying will it make a difference that I am putting this FI engine into my previously carbed 78?

I have no idea what happens to the nickel under heat... I was just hoping it would keep the pipes looking nicer than a typical exhaust pipe. :)

These look great!

...Bob Brown should have one on his trailer queen. It'll never even get blue!

Heat wrap

I"m going to put that heat wrap stuff on my header before reinstalling the carbs. The header is nasty looking anyway and that heat wrap would help mitigate hot start issues with the twin 40's. Anybody ever tried the heat wrap?

Very cool and clean looking engine bay, by the way. Why nickel plated? Did you just want that aesthetic?

Be aware that the heat wrap...

voids most header warranties. I am not sure but I think this has to do with trapping moisture and promoting rust.

Pete

I have DEI brand

I have header heat wrap DEI brand.
http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=9&tid=1
Exhaust%20Wrap%20with%20Packaging300.jpg

they also have this Titanium Wrap is the next step in controlling underhood temperatures. Able to handle 25% more heat than conventional wrap with a great new hi-tech look!
http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=95
TitaniumGroup-spot.gif

Any water that gets on the Header is going to get burned off as soon as the engine starts
to get warmed up .If fact to install the the heat wrap you souk it in water to stretch it around the header then you run the engine till it burns of all the water it gets real tight and looks awesome. I've had my header for 10 years last year I had to re-wrap the header because I accidentally cut the wrap it started to fall off so I re wrapped it. It is no more rusted then when I first installed the header 10 years ago.

voids most header warranties. I am not sure but I think this has to do with trapping moisture and promoting rust.

Pete
you sir are correct. I think I understand the principle, but still part of me asks "why"... heat evaporates moisture no?:brow:

Yeah, when the engine is on...

you sir are correct. I think I understand the principle, but still part of me asks "why"... heat evaporates moisture no?:brow:

I am totally guessing here, but I think the problem, if there is one, is as the engine cools, condensation forms. That's why your exhaust billows white smoke (steam) when you first start your car on a cold day. This is the water that accumulated in the exhaust system by condensation during the last cooldown. At least, that's my understanding of it.

Pete

Adjust carbs

Would you need to adjust your carbs after adding the heat wrap? I've read that some Ferrari owners with carb'd 308's have had to do that. Probably best to pit the wrap on before even reinstalling the carbs.

The Faza car has its header wraped.. I was thinking about removing it but not sure if thats best now...:hmm:

I am totally guessing here, but I think the problem, if there is one, is as the engine cools, condensation forms. That's why your exhaust billows white smoke (steam) when you first start your car on a cold day. This is the water that accumulated in the exhaust system by condensation during the last cooldown. At least, that's my understanding of it.

Pete

I wrap my header on the race car but not my street car. The wrap does trap moisture against the header when the car is being stored, and that does promote rust. In my experience, though, the bigger problem is weakening of the header due to heat cycling, resulting in cracks. The wrap increases the temperature of the header when the engine is running. Over the years, the heat cycling to higher peak temperatures accelerates cracking failures. I'm not a metalurgist, but I suspect there is a change in grain structure of the metal to make it more brittle. I get about 3 race seasons of use from a PBS header when wrapped. In contrast, I have about 10 years on my ceramic-coated PBS header on my street car.

Coke or Diet Creme Soda?

Just wonderin' what's on tap in the man cave these days. ;)

It is really almost too nice. Now I am going to have to keep my engine bay clean.

Back