I JUST RAISED MY STEERING WHEEL

eflexter

Eddie Flexter
Thanks to previous posts who showed how to do it, I just spent about 15 minutes time and raised the steering wheel about 1.5 inches.

On the later cars (or maybe all?) the steering wheel is so low that:
1. you can't see the tach or charge meter
2. I can barely fit my legs under it.

I simply removed the bottom steering column cover (3 screws). Then dropped the forward-most mounting bolts for the column. I inserted 3 fender washers between the column bracket and the mount, and reassembled everything.

Basically dropping the forward bolt raises the wheel. The column pivots on the center main bolts. Down in front = up in back. There were no modifications required for the cover at all. In fact it fits BETTER than it did before. Seems like it was actually meant to fit this way.

Now I can see all the guages, and I have room to spare between the wheel and my legs. Makes getting in/out of the car easier too.

Thanks for the excellent advice!!

I've seen the posts also,

and for a tall, old, fat guy like me, it's something I definitely gotta do one of these days.

Thanks for the feedback on how easy it is to do.

Mike

Cool to hear it works so well.

When I jumped into both of the 83's I bought last year I was simply appalled at how badly the steering wheel covered the instrument panel. I told my MG buddy (my only car buddy who can relate) that there was a good chance I'd have to make a custom gauge pod or something for the car by the time I got it on the road. Glad to hear you can raise the steering wheel enough to improve things.

I've got miata seats heading towards the car as well, so I guess this is a must do for me somewhere down the road.

Thanks for posting this easy fix.The wheel height is my main issue with the car,I will raise mine this weekend.

Did mine today, what a difference I can see all the gauges and my legs aren't pinned. I used 4 washers and trimmed the plastic on the top of the column a bit for clearance. I'm 6' 1" and have never been a good fit for the car. Until now... I might take out 1 washer for a little less steering wheel angle.

Am going through all workshop forum, and see there is a lot of good info, that I even couldn't imagine to search.
This mod could let me see other gauges than oil and water pump, although non of them works yet, don't know why.
It would be great if X19 wiki page would be simple and full with info like this e30 page http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Main_Page

Of course, I understand, that page didn't filled by itself

Sorry, previously made this comment in a wrong thread :D
xxxxxxxxx.jpg

and for a tall, old, fat guy like me, it's something I definitely gotta do one of these days.
Hey, ease up there, Mike!! Us old guys gotta look after ourselves carefully! Wait until Tony has struggled away modifying the steering column on his X, and THEN invite him around to do your car!! :rolleyes:
Throw in a few Moxie's and before ya know it, Tony will have to job done!

cheers, IanL - NZ

Hey Ian, Tony wrote that 6 years ago.
Do you think he has gotten around to it yet?
Hey Ulix, old friend!!! Wow, haven't heard from you in years, buddy!
I didn't spot the date on that post of Tony's, or the other posts also!!
Just proves what getting old does to our (my) brain!! :eek:

cheers, IanL - NZ

Back