I like Lancia butts and cannot lie

NigelProdrive

True Classic
Scorpion6.jpg

Scorpion5.jpg

8 nuts and 2 wire connectors and about 5 minutes difference.

Last edited:
If I had to choose a favorite I'd take the latter with the X1/9 tail lights over the Ferrari inspired rounded lights. Just my opinion!

The pros and cons of each:

The stock are:

Pros- As the car was designed.

Cons: Brittle and prone to having mounting studs crack off.

Difficult to find grilles in good shape.

Plastic head taillight lenses mounting screws become brittle and difficult to remove.

There is only a 6x6 inch vent area on each side of license plate. Hardly any venting area.

The mesh grille:

Pros: optimized air flow by minimizing taillight size.

Weighs less

Readily available material

Can leave car at events and people can still view engine through mesh. This I found online after I was at a rally.
7606AD96-1EA5-44BA-AED3-8728F487E319.jpeg

It’s more sheer than in original pic with no sun.

EE80C12D-AA0F-4933-A8BE-0068604C7F93.jpeg
B3F001CB-B02A-4F71-A629-21ED43A7ECCB.jpeg

It’s only 5 minutes to swap so can pick and choose which style at a whim. After you have completed everything else in your build but still like to tinker, finding projects to keep interest in the car is limited.

Last edited:
Have you mounted your plate on the mesh yet? I may have to go with this if I cannot shield the stock panel from the exhaust system heat enough. I have a spare ratty panel from ThinkJedi that I was going to use as a sacrificial lamb to test. It may get a bit Salvador Dali.

Have you mounted your plate on the mesh yet? I may have to go with this if I cannot shield the stock panel from the exhaust system heat enough. I have a spare ratty panel from ThinkJedi that I was going to use as a sacrificial lamb to test. It may get a bit Salvador Dali.
I haven’t mounted a license plate to the mesh. I’ve tossed it up in rear window or gone without any. Contemplated an 037 style rear bumper which has a plate mount.

What are you doing to produce so much heat near your grille? Pics.

I made the grille from perforated round hole aluminum. It will withstand heat and weighs practically nothing (it’s more holes than aluminum).

Last edited:
I swapped the transverse Lancia engine/transaxle to a longitudinal Subaru SVX flat six (230 hp) mated to a WRX 5-speed and will be having the exhaust come up to a crossflow muffler mounted centrally ahead of the license plate area. I kind of go into a bit of description at the 13 minute part of this video...

I swapped the transverse Lancia engine/transaxle to a longitudinal Subaru SVX flat six (230 hp) mated to a WRX 5-speed and will be having the exhaust come up to a crossflow muffler mounted centrally ahead of the license plate area. I kind of go into a bit of description at the 13 minute part of this video...

Interesting. Did you consider 037 side scoops?

C56C3BD5-867D-4319-B02E-937254260DAB.jpeg

I own a couple Subaru and daily an older one.

9A558C3C-32E6-4EBD-A28B-23F76943E559.jpeg

Codrove many including factory team prepared in rallies.
3DCFE588-29D7-4E26-8878-28DBB1EEE325.jpeg
37790D3B-929F-40DE-AFEE-D837C60F1340.jpeg
89841E4B-5CF4-4CB3-808E-69E3243DFABA.jpeg
5C26B8C4-0190-4BDE-8168-68FA07DD6AEB.jpeg
BD1BF601-0416-41FB-9044-9B466FE678A1.jpeg
6BDF8147-5561-45BA-A00D-0E454A6F2663.jpeg
AFB4872E-77B9-41C7-9357-43C1AC3200D6.jpeg
DCE519CF-4274-46D0-8EA4-70166AD75069.jpeg
341E4616-C374-4FA2-8B4B-4E296C0345AB.jpeg

Rally racing looks all of the awesome and must've been stupid amounts of fun! The 037 side scoops aren't off the table but I am initially setting up the car so that I can swap back and forth between solid and flying buttresses depending on my mood. As well, I will be keeping the black accent band and may go further with a two-tone paint scheme ala Ferrari 512 BB. So that will envelop the lower X1/9 intake ducts into the rest of the car's lower bodywork.

Nicely done there. I've seen this car before in Google Image results and I love it. Are the buttress windows deleted? I like the look of it as is. I also noticed the exposed color door frames. I've considered the same and this makes me more sure. The Abarth 030 prototype did its doors this way also.
I hope to also have at least two different rear grill options applied the same way. I've found a grill mesh that appears very similar to that of the 037 here:

It'll take some fab to get the width I'll need but nothing too crazy. I hope to pair this grill with the Fiat-sourced tail lights that the 037 had. Got the tail lights, just need to get to the point in my project were I order the grill.

Nicely done there. I've seen this car before in Google Image results and I love it. Are the buttress windows deleted? I like the look of it as is. I also noticed the exposed color door frames. I've considered the same and this makes me more sure. The Abarth 030 prototype did its doors this way also.
I hope to also have at least two different rear grill options applied the same way. I've found a grill mesh that appears very similar to that of the 037 here:

It'll take some fab to get the width I'll need but nothing too crazy. I hope to pair this grill with the Fiat-sourced tail lights that the 037 had. Got the tail lights, just need to get to the point in my project were I order the grill.

I did not install the glass buttresses. The glass was difficult to keep clean and would trap berries, seeds, leaves from trees. I have them stored under my bed where they’ll be safer than in the garage.

I did not reinstall the door molding trim. Not needed.

I chose the perforated round hole like a Ferrari Challenge rear grille.

The tires are Toyo Proxy.

E27BF470-9282-4BF2-BCF0-9DCF23326367.jpeg

I think those tires are R compound (auto-x/track tires). If you want something that looks similar but is a full DOT-rated tire for highway use, check out the Falken RT615: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Falken&tireModel=Azenis+RT615K+

Had the Falkens on my old Alfa Milano and really loved them. Very quiet and compliant for an extreme performance summer tire and not quite as grippy as some in this category, so you can still slide the car a little. They're available in both 14 and 15 inch sizes.

Where can one find the grill and lights for the conversation
The grille is perforated round hole aluminum. You can buy 4x8 sheets at McNichols or other suppliers. And choose how sheer you want the holes for airflow and see though. Waste some self etching primer and paint mostly painting nothing because more holes than actual grille material.

The taillights I used are Ferrari F50. Lots of other round units available. Fiat 850, Opel Manta, Lotus Exige,

Back