I miss my X! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]I miss my X! :(<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 23 1999 at 5:22 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "v";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "u"; document.write("Doc"); // --> </SCRIPT>Doc <NOSCRIPT> Doc </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hey all... no, no more problems! My "X" is away for the winter - along with all of my old cars and the Maserati... the driveway seems so empty with only my daily driver! :( I enjoy driving them all for a variety of reasons, but really MISS driving the X... I can't say the same for the others.

Anyway, there is a point to this... I have purchased all new belts for the car... the ac and water pump belts seem easy enough, but the timing belt is a bit of a concern. I'm game to try to tackle it myself, but I would love any advise or cautions that any of you who have done this operation can offer.

I also got new pads and rotors all around. Between that and doing a FULL brake job on the 51 Plymouth (new shoes, drums turned, master cylinders, and all new brake lines), I am learning far more about braking systems than I ever thought I would have use for!

Cheers,

Doc<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Tim"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tim <NOSCRIPT> Tim </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Timing belt replacement<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 24 1999, 5:20 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I tackled this job myself and found it, although a bit tricky in places, reasonably easy, I found the hardest part was getting the belt off and back on the crankshaft pulley, a very tight squeeze around a mounting bracket, first off all though make sure the crank is at TDC, and mark every pulley with a dab of white paint (one on the pulley and one on the casing-you know what I mean), just in case one moves, it just takes away any doubt when refitting the belt.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Stu Brennan[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Timing belt tips.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 24 1999, 11:05 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I did my timing belt and offer the following.
1. Start with everything at TDC and I use white out to paint a mark with everything lined up. On the lower pulley I put a mark on the inside of the engine compartment so that I could tell when the crank was at TDC without the timing cover on.
Also mark the position on the cam and where this lines up with the cam timing mark.
2. To release the belt tensioner I found that using a couple of box wrenches on the end of the spring held it up and allows belt removal.
3. Change the tensioner pulley.
4. When putting it back together remember to make sure that the dist. is pointing at the #4 cyl. before you put the belt on. If you forget and put the belt on you have to pull the dist. and rotate it or take the belt off and rotate the pulley.
Other than that it was pretty straight forward. Good luck. Stu<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Ulix[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Timing Belt Tips<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]November 24 1999, 3:32 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Stu wrote:
> 1. Start with everything at TDC and I use white
> out to paint a mark with everything lined up. On
> the lower pulley I put a mark on the inside of
> the engine compartment so that I could tell when
> the crank was at TDC without the timing cover on.

You could use the mark at the other end.
There is a window in the transmission bellhousing through which you can see the flywheel. There are marks there too which should be more accurate than the ones on the timing cover. The problem is this window is a little hard to see.

I would move the engine to TDC at this little window. (pull the plugs and push car in 4th or jack up one side and use a breaker bar on axle nut to turn wheel) and then see if the mark on teh cam pulley lines up with the pointer at the top of the timing belt cover backing plate.

If so, pull the handbrake so that nothing moves and remove the belt.

> Also mark the position on the cam and where this
> lines up with the cam timing mark.

The mark on the cam pulley should line up with the pointer so that no marking should be necessary.

> 2. To release the belt tensioner I found that
> using a couple of box wrenches on the end of the
> spring held it up and allows belt removal.

I carefully use a pry bar to push the tensioner back, then put vise grips on the tube that gets pushed out the rear of the bracket to hold teh tensioner back. If you are going to change it (and you should), you may as well take it off right away.

> 3. Change the tensioner pulley.

If for some reason you are not going to do this, make sure the outside of the tensioner where it touches the belt is clean. Otherwise your belt may run off the pulleys.

> 4. When putting it back together remember to make
> sure that the dist. is pointing at the #4 cyl.
> before you put the belt on. If you forget and put the belt on you have to pull
the dist. and rotate it or take the belt off and rotate the pulley.

Right.

Before you crank the motor over, double and triple check that the crank pulley is at TDC and the cam pulley lines up with its pointer.
Follow the instructions for tightening the belt in your workshop manual. Do not force the tensioner against the belt!

Another tip:
When you are putting the belt on, you may find that it seems to be too short.
There is a bolt or nut above the crank pulley that the belt likes to get hung up one and then it seems to be too short.

That's all I can think of.
It really is pretty straight forward, especially after the first time :)

Ulix<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back