I think I bought a lemon.....

changed the image links...

Anyway here are some pics.

pistons1.jpg

brokenvalve1.jpg

damagedpiston3.jpg

damagedhead2.jpg

plughole1.jpg

changed image links to display in thread _ you should resize to 1024 max on the long side - no need for such large images...

images and update....

Thanks. I'll make sure to resize the next time. As for an update, I have been working with 2 members to come up with a list of parts to get ordered. Once they are ordered, I'll work on the rad issues and when things arrive, we start building the beast. Looking to get some upgrades that will make the X a little zippier in the end. While replacing some of the crap parts installed by the PO. Its too bad the PO wasn't a member here. I think he would have really benefitted from the knowledge here and not made the mistakes he made. Let's hope we can get the parts here in a hurry and start building. If all goes well, we'll be back on the road by the end of July.

Yes... Maybe if the timing was a little bit out and got worse because the locating dowel sheared... Or a shim gone walkabout caused the belt to skip a tooth or so, and then jammed again causing another skip.... All rather far-fetched because as you say, jumping timing will generally kill the engine immediately.

That's why we so need to know about the timing marks - if they're still lined up we're going down a completely different diagnostic path.

Another piece of trivia... The very end of the 1300 production run in some of the '78s were not interference motors. The pistons had deeper flycuts like the 1500. And WildWilly does have a '78....
How would I know if i have the late 1300 ?....I'm struggling with timing as well...mine is like 90 degrees by the timing light with vacuum...even more without vacuum

Back