I think I've narrowed down a problem BUT...

Quantumleap

Rich Banks
I need a little help with some "how to install" regarding my pick-up coil in my distributor, can it be done while still in the car, so as to not disturb the timing? Here's a coupla pics:
3fbc39b9.jpg

a27d292c.jpg

Rich:

Yeah, it can be installed while dizzy is in place, but I highly recommend not doing so. Much more straigh forward when dizzy is out. and keeping timing correct is not too hard.

Best regards,
Kevin

Pull it.

Don't take the chance in the car because if you drop a bitty screw into the bottom of it you will have to take it out anyway.

I changed mine years ago because of hard starting and a high RPM miss. Took years to figure out what the problem was, the best $49 I ever spent.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

As you can plainly see Rich, the answer is NO!

Pull your access cover from the spare tire well and lift the cap, mark the rotor relative to the case, and the case relative to the block.

Then loosen the 13mm hold down nut and pull the dizzy... reninstall on the marks.

I would STILL use a timing light and recheck the timing after you are done, but the thing should start right up again easily...

Don't be a chicken! HA!

BTW... in the old Best Of section I believe there is a pictorial by lezesig on the dizzy's disassembly!

Oil Seal

I'm not sure of the exact name for the black ring, but I think it serves as an oil seal - keeping crankcase oil from escaping via the base of the distributor.

The split pin is what keeps the oil seal in place. You will need a very small guage drift to drive the pin out. If you can think of a nail set that isn't tapered. I fabricated a drift out of a nail set, myself. But, that's the only way I know of to remove the black ring.

Also, if you look at the pin, you will notice that it has a smaller diameter on one in than on the other. Drive it out from the small diameter end.

I am not totally sure that you need to remove the seal unless you also want to remove the distributor shaft. For purposes of replacing the pick up, you probably do not have to remove the seal. But, if you want to inspect the distributor's weights, you have to remove the shaft.

By the way, why are you replacing the pick up coil?

Don

No, I'm not trying to replace the pick up coil. I want to replace that oil seal because it is very brittle and I could use my fingers to break it into many small pieces. Thank you for the info.

WOW, thanks for the link to the pics of the rebuild, Don!

If you click the arrows to page thru fast enuff, it looks like a "stop motion" animation showing the teardown and pick up coil replacement lol. It doesn't get any simpler than that! And Tony, you're right, I'll grow some "cajones" and pull out the dizzy, I forget that even the 1500 engine is simple by today's standards, much like my ol' VW Sciroccos in the past. Thanks all for posting, this is DEFINITELY a new "best of" addition. - Cheers, RB

Yeah... Wish we had a "BEST OF" Section in 2.0...

You know, something easy to refer to without clicking back and forth so many times... (HINT, HINT, HINT - MODERATORS, and MAC - WHO NEVER LURKS!)

HA!

The Best Of Wiki is/was a good start but I forget who was doing all the work, or if we can even post in there. In any case... The Best Of - type sections would need a FULL TIME ADMINISTRATOR... Are you UP to the task Rich?

Back