Identify this SOHC drivetrain

EricH

Eric Hamilton
One of my X1/9s is a '74 Italian model, brought into the US in 1979 or thereabouts. However, at some point in its history the drivetrain was replaced, and I'm trying to figure out what I have. (I'm going to be putting a proper Euro 1300 motor and 4-speed into it, but that still leaves me with a bunch of parts to identify).

Transmission: Five-speed, but with the tripode joints of the 128 and '73-'78 four-speed X1/9 instead of the CV joints used from '79 on.

Cylinder head: Part number 5984873, came from some Euro 1500 motor, casting mark says 1983. The car has a cam-mounted distributor, no idea when or how that happened.

Engine block: Marked Fiat/Lancia, 3L13, M202.15, 4469772

So what do I have on my engine stand right now?

Can't help with the questions you have, However I have a question for you; what is used in the block to cap the block dist port? I'm going to switch a distributor-less (wasted spark) setup & will need to cap that with something...

One more part number from this motor: the intake manifold is cast with number 82340733 (which has one more digit than the Fiat part numbers I'm used to seeing). Anyone recognize that part number?

Google turned up this FB post from Italy. I am not sure that's a lot of info, but it mentions a weber 34 dmtr. That sounds like a 74 carb IIRC.

That carb suggests it's from a Ritmo/Strada or Regata 1500. It's got to be a FWD version if it has a brake servo connection.

823xxxxx part numbers are generally Lancia, which are all FWD if they are sohc... so likely the wrong 'tilt' for an X19... could be one of the small engined Delta's.

SteveC

Back