If your transmission leaks...

tfphoenix

King Phoenix
If your transmission leaks and you aren't ready to deal with it properly, I am happy to report that permatex #82096 has solved my problem. I had a slow leak from the seam so I cut away all the excess gasket with a razor blade, cleaned the whole thing with degreaser and dried it, and sprayed a few coats of this stuff on (as per instructions) and it hasn't leaked since. Hope this helps!

yhst4829792992329210413.jpg

Dude

Thanks, I think. You just made me a new project for some upcoming weekend.

My yearor so-old, just professionally re-built 5-speed leaks like a sieve at the main seal, especially with MTL in it. Maybe this stuff will help. I certainly do not intend to pull the transmission just to stop a leak.

My yearor so-old, just professionally re-built 5-speed leaks like a sieve at the main seal, especially with MTL in it. Maybe this stuff will help. I certainly do not intend to pull the transmission just to stop a leak.

I have found that you some times have to take the good with the bad when using MTL. I had a once a week drip turn into a puddler after going with MTL. Oh well.

If by Main Seal you mean input shaft/driven shaft seal, won't that get slung all over the clutch, soak the friction material, and make the clutch chatter on move-out?

Last edited:
yeah

I didn't leak at all before I put in MTL. But this stuff seems to have done the trick for me. just wear eye goggles and something to cover your hair when your spraying it overhead. I had goggles on but I get some in my hair... no fun.

2 years and it leaks huh? That really sucks.

My latest trans leak repair

I also have MTL in my transmission, and it leaked quite a bit. I had the car on stands with the crossmember and crossmember mount removed. I cleaned off the tramsmission, and the next day could see a trail of oil from the reverse switch area runing down to the lowest point of the case.I inspected it carefully and decided it was coming from the forward crossmember mount bolt hole, just below the reverse switch. I looked at a spare transmission case and discovered that that hole goes all the way through the case into the hole where the shift rod goes in the case. Impossible to track down if everything is together. I put a good wrap of thread tape on the bolt when reinserting it. No leaks yet, but still on stands :sad: for other work. This is a 74 transmission, not sure what all years this would apply to.

By "main seal" I meant the big case seal.

That is, the one where the two halves of the case go together. NIce bright new gasket, too.

Doug, that is an interesting idea. I have looked carefully before in the hopes that it was something like that. I will look again.

Doug, Is this the bolt/stud you were referring to?

I just noticed I had a good image of the transmission....

trans_stud.jpg

Yes

That bolt hole is open through to the shift rod hole. My guess is that MTL will wick right down around bolt threads without some type of thread sealant on the bolt threads.

Bolt / stud leak.

I thinkk it's suppossed to be sealed on the inside by the case casting . Kind of like a dome shape inside. It can get popped open if a too long of a bolt is put in there. It's actually supposed to be a stud. I got mine sealed by putting removable lock-tite on the stud before putting it in. It's been o.k. for about 15,000 miles now.

Trans mount stud hole

Jim is correct. That forward most threaded hole is supposed to be a blind hole and the factory installs a stud there to protect the shift rod from a bolt.

It is common for someone to install a long bolt and run it all the way through the case and into the shift rod. If your transmission is leaking from this hole its a fairly easy fix.

Remove the mount, crossmember and stud (or bolt). Find an appropriate stud. Flush the hole with brake clean and blow dry with compressed air. Promptly, apply a liberal amount of Red Loctite to the stud and thread it into the hole. Allow to dry a few minutes and re-assembly.

The fix should seal up nicely.

Steve, Thanks!

Maybe that will save somebody some labor in the future. It's the small things that seem to get us. Experts like you are good a catching small things.

Back