If you're worried about internet privacy

Coupefan

True Classic
Moving a step beyond some users need to have a search engine that doesn't report what your actual searches are, browsers that block tracking or ultimately using VPN services so advertisers and others are clueless about you, a new issue has arisen from the Internet of Things enabled devices of the past few years.

Refrigerators now know your diet...good or bad. While I'm sure they're not yet selling the data to your health insurance company (yet), I'm sure the idea already came up. Visio and Samsung got in trouble as well with their tvs watching. The new personal assistants like Alexa are always listening. Now I hear iRobot, maker of the Roomba vacuuming robot, is collecting visual and physical data when the little sucker maps out your house--yes, some of the models have onboard cameras. Are they looking to sell me new furniture? Nevertheless, slightly worrisome.

So there are a couple of approaches to dealing with this... The first one is to stick with old technology that is dumb. This will work for a while, but eventually you will need to upgrade. The second approach, which I am taking, is to be inconsistent about who you are and provide only essential information, making the rest of it intentionally incorrect. For example, on Facebook only one or two elements of my profile are correct, the rest is filled out with incorrect data.

I often fill out warranty card information with incorrect information if I never plan on using the warranty. If I am on a flight, I request information using incorrect data. If I have a product that needs to connect to my internet, I make sure that parts of its communication are blocked. No need for a Roomba to connect to the internet... I would just block it 100%...

Privacy is going to be an issue until one of these companies gets busted for using the data illegally. Personally, I could care less about the government having my personal data and much more about AT&T, Google, Facebook etc...

Ed

I'm concerned about an unethical employee at one of those companies stealing files with tons of data, selling it to hackers in third world countries, who will then find ways to make money off it...at your expense (in one way or another). Although I won't put it past the company itself doing something undesirable with the information as well. And as technology continues to develop things will certainly get MUCH worse in this respect. Seems like a good business opportunity to create safety barriers for all of these devices, much like we have for computers (or many there already is and I'm too far behind the curve to know?).

Seems like a good business opportunity to create safety barriers

I shouldn't have to pay extra to guarantee my privacy or opt out or to protect myself. Unfortunately, that's were it's headed.

Your internet provider: you don't want to be tracked? You don't want a file built up on your lifestyle? That will cost you extra.

If you're interested about the roomba debacle, go here:

http://gizmodo.com/roomba-ceo-swears-that-he-will-never-sell-maps-of-users-1797339735

Last edited:
Back